Chapter 5: New Girls in Town

Rain continues to fall throughout the night and thunder rumbles loudly over the Wheelers' as Mike, Lucas, and Dustin stood in the basement with Eleven sitting on the couch with Mike's coat around her shoulders.  She shivers softly, breathing heavily in fear as they watch her.  

When Mike first saw the girl out there in the woods, he honestly didn't know what to do, but he knew he couldn't leave her out there. She could get hurt or kidnapped or killed and he would have to live with the guilt.  

"Is there a number we can call for your parents?" Mike asks.

"Where's your hair? Do you have cancer?" Dustin asks in wonder as he eyes her shaved head.  

Mike rolls his eyes at him

Mike rolls his eyes at him.  He should have known Dustin was going to ask a stupid question.  

"Did you run away?" Lucas asks. 

"Are you in some kind of trouble?"

Lucas' eyes widen as he sees a red spot on her shirt.  He reaches out to touch it, "Is that blood?"

Eleven flinches as she eyes his hand reaching out to her and jumps when Mike slaps it away from her.  

"Stop it! You're freaking her out!" Mike shouts at him.

"She's freaking me out!" Lucas exclaims. 

"I bet she's deaf." Dustin suggests and claps in front of her face, watching her flinch.  "Not deaf." He shrugs. 

"All right, that's enough, all right? She's just scared and cold." Mike states and moves to dig into the hamper that had his clothes.  

Thunder rumbles loudly, causing Eleven to jump in fear

Thunder rumbles loudly, causing Eleven to jump in fear.  She never heard that sound before. It was so loud and terrifying to her ears.  Lucas and Dustin watch her cautiously.

Mike grabs some sweats and moves back towards the girl, handing her the spare clothes, "Here, these are clean. Okay?" He says.

Hesitantly, Eleven reaches out and takes the clothes.  She rubs the soft cotton against her cheek, liking the warm feel of the texture against her cold skin.  She places the clothes down on the table and moves the coat off her shoulders as she stands up.  She reaches down to grip the bottom of her shirt and begins to pull it off, but Mike quickly stops her.