Chapter 15: Time to talk

With a loud gasp for air, Jim snaps his eyes open and scrambles off where he was lying down.  He felt so hungover and groggy.  He didn't know where he was till he squints his eyes at the bright sunlight.  He was home.  How did he get here?  He remembers he was at the lab and he saw that thing in the wall and...darkness.  He looks around and see his pills scattered all over the table.  No, no he didn't have any pills last night.  He wanted to keep himself sober to find Will.  They brought him and drugged him.  

Jim gets up and grabs his gun, waving it around as he rushes out of his trailer.  Scanning the area for anything, anyone.  No one was there, but that doesn't mean they weren't watching him.  No, this was a warning.  He rushes back inside his house and goes to the bathroom.  He scans his neck, he could almost feel the needle still inside him.  But there was nothing on his neck.  He wasn't imagining it.  He was at the lab.  He knows it.  And they...he gasps and begins to go through everything in his trailer.  Tearing through the cushions of his sofa and bed, the pillows.  The lamps.  The phone.  Everything that they could hide a small radio.  

He breathes heavily as he continues to tear through his house, but finds nothing.  He was about to give up, but he looks and sees one last place he hasn't looked.  The ceiling light in the living room.  He unscrews the light cover and, there it was.  A single tiny little bug radio.  

He exclaims in triumph.  He wasn't crazy.  They did something and he knows it.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the lab, Brenner was listening to a signal that his men found.  A signal that was coming from outside the lab and yet, inside the fracture.  He holds the headphones close to his ear and listens carefully.

"Will! Will, it's us! Are you there?" Lucas' voice calls out.

"Can you hear us?" Dustin calls out. 

"We're here!" Mike. 

"Hello? Mom?" Will's voice echoes distortedly to Brenner's ears as he listens.  He was surprised that the boy who was inside the fracture was still alive.  But, he knew he won't be for long, now that no one is looking for him.  It was just a matter of time. 

"Will, it's me. It's Jace. Can you hear me? Will!"  Brenner frowns at the new voice.  He wasn't familiar with this person, but the name sound familiar.  

"Why can't he hear us?

"I don't know!"

"Mom, it's coming!"

"Sister..." Five's voice echoes. 

Brenner grins as he places the headphones down, "They were there." He says and gets  up to gather a few men to investigate the source of the signals. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now that the funeral was over, it was time for the wake.  As everyone was getting into their cars to head for where the wake was, Nancy and Jonathan managed to sneak away to talk about where the creature could be.  They need to find it, if they find it, they believed that Barbara and Will won't be too far from it.  

"This is where we know for sure it's been, right?" Nancy says as she marks a part of her map. 

"So, that's..." Jonathan mutters. 

"Steve's house." Nancy says. 

"And that's the woods where they found Will's bike and...that's my house." Jonathan says as he points at the areas of the map.  "It's all so close."