Chapter 7: Friends

Jonathan continues his search for Will at Lonnie's, but Lonnie tries his best to butter up to Jonathan.  After learning about Will disappearing, not that he cared, but he thought he could use this as an advantage.  

Jonathan storms out of Lonnie's house to search his backyard.  He walks up to Lonnie's new car and exams it, mainly to see if Will was inside.  But Lonnie thought he was admiring the work. 

"Take a look at this beaut." Lonnie grins.  "Should've seen it when I got it. Took me a year, but it's almost done." He says, but frowns as he watches Jonathan pop the trunk and looks inside.  "Really?" He scoffs at him, "You want to check up my ass, too? I told you the same thing as I told those cops, he's not here and he never has been." Lonnie states. 

Jonathan slams the trunk down and glares at his father, "Then why didn't you call Mom back?" He asks. 

"I don't know, I just...I assumed she just forgot where he was. You know, he was lost or something. That boy never was very good at taking care of himself." Lonnie shrugs, failing at playing the concerned parent card.  

"This isn't some joke, all right? There are search parties, reporters..." Jonathan states.

"Hopper's not still chief, is he?" Lonnie asks then scoffs at Jonathan's silence, "Tell your mother she's gotta get you out of that hellhole. Come out here to the city. People are more real here, you know? And then I could see you more." He says, but watches Jonathan roll his eyes, " What, you think I don't want to see you?"

"I know you don't." Jonathan says. 

Lonnie gives him a accusing finger, "See, that's your mother talkin' right there. She even know you're here?"  He asks and scoffs when Jonathan was quiet, "Oh, great. So one kid goes missing, the other one runs wild? Some real fine parenting right there. Look, all I'm saying is, maybe I'm not the asshole, all right?" He says.

Jonathan digs into his bag and shoves a missing poster with Will's picture against Lonnie's chest and storms off. 

"In case you forgot what he looks like." He scoffs over his shoulder.

Lonnie sighs and looks at the picture of Will, then back to Jonathan as he watches him storm around the house.  

Cynthia comes out of the house and wraps her arms around his waist with a grin as she smacks her gum, "He's kinda cute, hmm? Maybe I'll trade you in for the younger model?" She smirks jokingly as she eyes Jonathan with lust. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After discovering Benny's dead body, Hopper decides to call in people who were the last to see Benny alive.  To see if anything was out of the ordinary or if anyone saw anything or heard anything.  For Benny to just...do that, something was telling his gut that it wasn't suicide.  

Jim looks around and sees that Jace took off again.  He grits his teeth in annoyance.  'What is going on with that boy lately?' He thought.  He needed to have a chat with him soon.  But, first, he needed to talk to Earl and the boys.  

Earl, one of Benny's regulars and good friends, sat in the diner.  Coroner already had Benny's body removed, so it was safe to do interrogations near the area.  He places a cigarette in his mouth with shaking hands, but his lighter wasn't working.  

"Just doesn't make any sense, Chief." Early says sadly as he struggles with his lighter.  

Jim, sitting in a chair in front of him, grabs his own and helps Earl light it.  Once Earl was calm and enjoying his smoke, Jim took that as a sign to start asking.