Chapter 3: Bad Feeling

Finally, the last class has ended for the students of Hawkins Middle School.  As the final bell rings, everyone in Earth and Biology class of Mr. Clark's room scramble to get their stuff and rush out of the room.  Mr. Clark hurries to inform his class of their assignment before they take off.

"Remember, finish chapter 12 and answer 12.3 on the difference between an experiment and other forms of science investigation. This will be on the test, which will cover chapters 10 through 12." His voice trails off as he sees that no one was interested in what he was saying, "It will be multiple choice with an essay section." He sighs and turns to see Lucas, Dustin, and Mike.  The only members of his afterschool program, the AV club.  

"So, did it come?" Mike asks excitedly. 

Mr. Clark gives them all a sad look, "Sorry, boys. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but..."  The three of them give him disappointed looks, but watches his face change into a big smile, "...it came." He chuckles and leads them to the AV room.  

Mike was the first one inside and shouts in excitement, "Yes!"4

"The Heathkit ham shack." Mr. Clark says as he lets the boys admire the new HAM radio he managed to get for the club.  

"Whoa." Mike exclaims as he exams the radio with Lucas and Dustin in admiration.  

"Ain't she a beaut?"

"I bet you can talk to New York on this thing."

"Think bigger." Mr. Clark grins. 

"California?" 

Mr. Clark shakes his head, "Bigger."

"Australia?" Mike asks with a big smile. 

Mr. Clark nods.

The boys exclaim in excitement and wonder, "Oh, man! When Will sees this, he's totally gonna blow his shit." Lucas says with a huge smile.  He could barely contain himself.

Mr. Clark frowns at Lucas, scorning him for using foul language in the presence of a teacher, "Lucas!"

Lucas winces, "Sorry."

Mr. Clark shakes his head and smiles at the three of them as they begin to use the Radio.  

Dustin chuckles as he watches Mike place the headphones on and clicks on the radio.  He leans into the microphone and begins to check and see if he could raise anyone in Australia.  

The radio tunes loudly as he twists the knobs around.  

"Hello, this is Mike Wheeler, president of Hawkins Middle AV Club." Mike says in an Australian accent and laughs.  

Lucas gives Mike a funny look and laughs. "What are you doing?"

Dustin snatches the headphones off Mike and places them over his head and leans into the microphone, "Hello, this is Dustin, and this is the secretary and treasurer of Hawkins Middle AV Club. Do you eat kangaroos for breakfast?" He asks with an Australian accent.  

Mike laughs and watches Lucas make a grab for the headphones, but before he could try the Radio out, a knock is made at the door.  The three boys and Mr. Clark turn to the door and sees the principal with Chief Hopper and his deputies.  Along with Jace.  

"Sorry to interrupt, but, uh, may I borrow Michael, Lucas and Dustin?" The principal asks Mr. Clark.  

Lucas, Mike, and Dustin all frown in confusion.  But Mike had a dark feeling that they could be here because of Will.  And he was right.  The boys were taken to the principal's office and as soon as Hopper asks them about Will, all three of them begin to chatter at once.