Chapter 25: One Month Later

A month has passed and it was Christmas Eve for the people of Hawkins.  Everything has slowly returned to normal, but no one will ever forget the horrors they witnessed and they will never forget the friends they made who protected them with their lives.  

The snow fell lightly from the heavens over the town with soft kisses of white littered over the grass and roads.  The air was colder, but no longer did it carry evil.  

The Wheeler's house was warm and decorated with Christmas lamps glowing through the windows and the wreaths at the doors and windows.  With Karen cooking the holiday meal and Ted passed out at the tv like always, Mike was down in the basement.  Entertaining his friends as Dungeon Master once more.  

"' Something is coming. Something angry. Hungry for your blood. It is almost here'." He says softly in a low voice, full of warning and caution.  

"What is it?"

"It's the thessalhydra, I'm telling you." Dustin says worriedly.

"It's not the thessalhydra." Lucas scoffs. 

"I'm telling you, it's the thessalhydra." Dustin says strongly.

Mike slams a monster figure that carried more than head.  Very similar to the Greek legend monster, Hydra,  on the board, "The thessalhydra!"

The boys all groan in despair, "Damn it."

"It roars in anger!  Will, your action!" Mike shouts. 

Will panics, not knowing what should be done, "What should I do? I--"

"Fireball him!" Lucas says. 

Will turns to Dustin for help and all of them watch him think it carefully.  He looks up at Will with a grin, "Fireball the son of a bitch."

Lucas chuckles and watches Will toss the dice. 

"Fourteen!"

All of them cheer and exclaim in shock while Mike continues the campaign.

"Direct hit. Will the Wise's fireball hits the thessalhydra. It makes a painful..." He makes a screeching sound as if an animal was dying as he slowly falls to the floor, imitating a monster dying, "...and then... it crumbles to the ground. Its clawed hand reaches for you one last time and, and, and...and..." He reaches out to them and falls to the floor. 

Will, Lucas, and Dustin all cheer as Mike gets up and goes back to reading his campaign.

"Lucas cuts off its seven heads, and Dustin places them into his bag of holding." Mike says as Dustin moves and grabs a bag, holding it in triumph. "You carry the heads out of the dungeon, victorious, and you present them to King Tristan. He thanks you for your bravery and service."

Lucas stops and frowns, "Whoa. Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, that's not it, is it?" He asks.

Mike stutters, confused, "No, there's a medal ceremony--"