Chapter VIII

Today is Wednesday, April 16th, 1947.

I've been in school for little over a week now. Right now, we're in the Kidō Training Grounds.

We're lined up in three lines facing a wall. The wall has small square targets in front of it. The objective is to hit the target in the middle of it with a Kidō spell.

"Group One," Gengorou called then. "Forward."

"Hai," The first row called back.

They stood up and walked forward.

"Hadō practice," Gengorou called, "Begin!"

"Hai," They replied.

They then attempted to hit the target with Hadō #31: Shakkahō. Only a few people hit the target.

The first line moved back into line and then the second line moved forward. This line hit more targets, but none of them hit the target in the middle or anywhere near it actually.

"Group Three," Gengorou said then, "Forward."

"Hai," I and everyone in my line responded.

We all stood up and walked forward.

"Hadō practice," Gengorou called, "Begin!"

"Hai," We replied.

I put my left hand in front of me with my palm facing the target, "Hadō #31: Shakkahō!" I said then.

I generated high-temperature flames at my palm and discharged it. The ball of flames flew to the target in front of me and it exploded.

"Whoa," Everyone said, surprised.

...Maybe I shouldn't have put... I started to think.

"She didn't use the incantation." A female student behind me gasped.

"That's danger..." Another started to say, "Ous..." She didn't finish.

The dust around my target finally settled. There's nothing left of it.

I almost smiled, but then decided to hide it.

"She hit the target smack-dab in the middle," A male student gapped in awe.

"Kimiyo-san, was that you?" Gengorou asked, walking toward me.

I looked over at him, "Hai."

He looked at where my target used to be. "Hmm, impressive, but I asked everyone to use the incantation this time."

"I heard what you said, sir," I told him and then added, "I decided it'd be safer for everyone if I didn't use the incantation."

He looked over at me with narrowed eyes, "I don't care what you thought, Kimiyo-san, I said use the incantation." He walked away from me, "Again!" He called.

I narrowed my eyes, "At least ask the other students to move back, sir!" I snapped at him, annoyed.

He spun around and yelled, "Again!"

I snorted, "Suit yourself!" I hissed and put my hand in front of me again. "Ye lord! Mask of blood and flesh, all creation, flutter of wings, ye who bears the name of Man! Inferno and pandemonium, the sea barrier surges, march on to the south!" I chanted and my whole body started to glow red. The ball of fire at my hand now is 5 times as big as the last one.

Everyone's eyes widened.

"Kimiyo-san," Gengorou worried with his hand toward me.

"Hadō #31: Shakkahō!" I finished and shot the ball at the wall in front of me.