The Lions Den

Song suggestion: Sweet Surrender- Against the Current

Aussie awoke to an odd sensation. She was toasty and warm despite the chill in the air that nipped at her nose, and she felt... cocooned? As sleep slipped further from her she became more aware. More aware of the bicep that was her pillow, the arm curling around her and holding her by the shoulder, the other arm wrapped around her waist, the hand pressed to her ribs holding her firmly against a solid and warm body.

Gally, she thought as a warm smile spread across her face. She could tell from the very faint light that it was early in the morning. She tried to look at her watch but her arms were pinned in front of her. She lifted her head slightly, looking for Gertie over Moo's fluffy body. Gally's grip tightened, his hand moving up her body slightly and a leg was thrown over her, warm breath hitting the back of her neck. She broke out in goose bumps despite her body temperature skyrocketing.

Moo popped his head up and saw Aussie's eyes were open which prompted his good morning routine. Aussie helplessly lay there as Moo began to give her kisses, getting more and more excited. He nosed himself under Gally's arm, whether to get closer to Aussie or to free her she couldn't tell, but Gally started to stir. His grip relaxed and he rolled onto his back, allowing Aussie to use her arms again. She wiped the dog spit from her face and sat up.

Gertie was still asleep, curled up snuggly in her blanket, a tuft of hair peeking out from under it. As Aussie pet the still spastic Moo, she checked her watch. The door would open soon. She looked over her shoulder at Gally and smirked.

He was laying there, sprawled out as best he could in the small tent, and it reminded her of the day he came up in the box. But he was even more beautiful now that she actually knew him. She wished she had savored being in his arms a little more, that feeling of contentment and safety was something she'd yearn for every second of her life now that she'd had her first taste of it. Plus, it was cold without him. She bit her lips as she got up and left the tent, knowing that if she stayed she'd probably lay her hands on him like the day she touched his cheek when he'd passed out.

The doors seemed different today when she laid her eyes on them. They felt taller, thicker, and more alive than ever before. The maze had been a mystery for years now, but there was a new mystery behind those doors now: what happened to Thena?

What would they find when the doors opened? Or would they even find anything at all? Maybe she'd be dead, laying in a pool of blood somewhere in the maze, maybe she made it out... maybe they'd never find out what happened.

Aussie placed her hand on the cool stone and felt a surge of hatred and disgust. These weren't doors, these were teeth. The maze was a monster that ate their hope and occasionally them too. It was like a guard dog between them and a real life in a real world, and the most frustrating part was that there was no reason why.

"I'm coming for you, monsters," She whispered to the doors.

Part of her felt ridiculous for that, she was the weakest little scarecrow in the whole Garden with asthma to boot, but she also felt something else. Like a solid rock in her chest, she knew what had to be done and she had the determination to do it. She'd die just to make them bleed.

What she didn't know is that someone heard her that morning, and they didn't think it was a ridiculous threat from a little girl. They were afraid.

"Hey," came a groggy voice behind her.

She turned to see Gally standing a few feet away, hands stuffed into his pockets.

"Hey," she answered back, warmth returning to her cheeks as she softly smiled at him. "Did you sleep ok?"