Many Returns

Reality jolted back into place for Aussie. No longer was she questioning her sanity as Gally lay there on top of her, alive and w- ok maybe he wasn't quite "well", but he seemed like he was going to survive as soon as he caught his breath. It seemed like every inch of him was covered in sweat as he lay there huffing and wheezing on her shoulder, but she didn't mind. No one tried to help him up or get him off of her which was also just fine with her. He hadn't moved since they pulled him through the door and, while she wished he would hold her in return, she understood he was just exhausted. Girls around them were peppering Joan, Aris, and Rachel with questions about what happened in there, but Aussie wasn't going to make him talk just yet, she was pretty sure he wouldn't be able to. So she just lay there, holding him and stroking his short, sweaty hair and whispering to him and only him.

"I'm so glad you're back," She said, not sure he could hear her over his own labored breathing. "I waited for you by the door all day, me and Gertie. Thank you so much for coming back to me, thank you, thank you..."

"Hey, is he ok?" Gertie asked as she came over to them, having done a once over on the others since they'd come in first. She patted Gally's shoulder as she sat down next to them.

Gally gave a thumbs up before his hand dropped back to the ground heavily. 

Gertie chuckled. "Well, I'm really happy you made it back. You had us real worried there, but I'm glad you kept your promise. I'll give you a few more minutes to catch your breath and then we'll get you some water, get you cleaned up and fed, and then you can rest."

Gally nodded against Aussie's chest, his breathing calming down a little bit by then. All of that sounded wonderful to him, but he definitely needed those few minutes right where he was. He had been terrified when he saw those doors closing, his body had felt too fatigued to get him there in time, and it almost didn't. He felt like he would definitely have nightmares about getting crunched between the doors. He would shudder at the thought if he wasn't so sore and tired. As badly as he wanted to hug Aussie back he just didn't have the strength to right then, so he was glad to feel her holding him tightly and the comforting rise and fall of her chest as she breathed beneath him, and it helped him slow his own breaths until finally they were in sync with hers.

"That's better," She said as she gave a heavy sigh. He was very heavy and she kind of found it hard to breathe herself but she definitely wasn't going to say anything or make him move. "How are you feeling?"

"We found it," He said before making an effort to lift his head and look her in the eyes. "We found the door."

He watched her eyes widen and sparkle, making him smile down at her. They were left alone, everyone following Joan, Aris and Rachel to the house to hear the story from them.

"You found the rabbit hole? The way out- you found it?" 

"Yeah," he grinned at the happiness that was playing on her features. 

"Yes! I knew you could do it!" She cheered as she squeezed him harder, causing him to wince at some sore spot on his body. "Oh! I'm sorry! Come on, let's get you taken care of."

Gally groaned, resting his head on her shoulder again. "Just one more minute."

"Gally, you need water and food," She said even as she rubbed his back and made him never want to get up at all.

"You have no say in it. I have you pinned, you're at my mercy," he said with closed eyes, a silly sort of fatigue hitting him, or maybe just a weird sort of adrenaline from making it back and having Aussie so close to him. 

"Oh yeah?" she asked with a tone he didn't quite enjoy before maneuvering one leg out from under him and bending it at the knee till she could plant her foot on the ground. Using all her strength she pressed that foot down and lifted her hip till he rolled to the side and she slid out from under him the rest of the way.