The Band is Back Together

Aussie found Gertie by Rani's bedside. Rani herself was finally showing signs of improvement, she wasn't screaming or thrashing anymore but seemed to be actually resting and healing. Gertie was another story.

She was curled up in an arm chair, looking very uncomfortable but seemed to be asleep nonetheless. Aussie noticed corkscrews of hair hanging down in her face, something Gertie always hated. She walked over and wound the lock of hair around her fingers, Gertie's blood shot eyes flickering open.

"Looks like it's time for a haircut, huh?" Aussie said with a small, apologetic smile.

Relief washed over Gertie's face as she got up and threw her arms around Aussie's shoulders, almost knocking her over.

"I missed you," Gertie cried, burying her face in Aussie's shoulder.

"I'm sorry," she said after brushing a wild curl out of her nose.

They sat in the arm chair together for hours, a tangle of legs and arms, talking till they both felt better. Gertie talked about how hard it was to care for Rani because she had no idea if she was doing anything right and she could have really used Aussie's emotional support. And Aussie apologized, explaining how she felt like every decision she made led to danger for herself and others.

"So did Gally fix you?" Gertie asked her.

"What do you mean?" Aussie chuckled, not being able to help the warm fuzzy feelings that manifested as pink cheeks.

"I told him he had to fix you or else," Gertie clarified. "So, if he's not responsible for this I have to make him pay, obviously."

Aussie laughed again, resting her head on the back of the chair.

"Well... you should let him live another day then," Aussie sighed through a smile.

"Ugh," Gertie stuck her tongue out. "You guys are gross... I'm happy for you."

"Shut up," Aussie giggled. "He told me you'd been pestering him."

"He did? I'll kill him," Gertie said it like it was no big deal and Aussie snorted.

"I don't think you will, I think you've gotten attached to him," she was telling the truth but tried to say it like she was teasing just to feel her out.

"I. Have. Not," she replied deliberately. "I just know how... enchanted he makes you and figured he was the best one for the job."

"Enchanted?!" Aussie repeated incredulously, one brow raised as high as it would go.

"Your eyes get all big and- oh, Gally," Gertie used her fingers to open her eyes farther and made her voice all breathless.

"I do not!" Aussie planted her hand over Gertie's face. "Geeeez!"

"Well, you come close. Joan says you look at him the same way you look at the dog."

Aussie's expression fell slack.
"Do I?" She asked nervously.

————

Gally was pleased to spot Gertie and Aussie by a little fire that evening as he did his laps around the garden. They'd missed dinner but Gertie was hand feeding snacks to Aussie as she did the monumental task of cutting the younger girls hair.

He finished his exercise in record time and quickly cleaned himself up, happy to find them where he'd last seen them. Bright blond curls littered the grass and dirt around their little bonfire and a pitcher of juice sat in a bucket of ice.

"You're not done yet?" Gally asked as he took a seat on the log by the fire.

"Have you seen how much hair she has?" Aussie's eyebrows shot up as she grabbed a fistful for dramatic effect making Gertie yelp. "Plus it's curly, plus she has so many cowlicks it's like a herd of them got ahold of her."