Back at the Start

The house was empty when Gally woke up. He didn't even know what time it was since there were no clocks in the house, not even on the appliances, so he felt extra disoriented. He slipped his shoes on, stuffing the laces he couldn't tie down inside of them, and went to look for Gertie and Aussie.

He saw a few girls sitting near the kitchen. They were drinking water and all looked a bit dirty. He almost groaned aloud realizing he'd have to talk to them.

"Hey," he nodded to them as he walked up. "Where is everyone?"

"The woods," one girl pointed.

"Digging the graves," another added.

"Thanks," he nodded to the glum group of girls before he started making his way in that direction.
"Oh, do any of you have the time?" He turned back to ask.

They all looked at their matching digital watches.
"Two," they chorused.

"T- two?" His eyebrows shot up in surprise. He certainly got his beauty sleep.

Gally was not happy about going into the woods again. Sure, Hedy was gone and therefore 50% of his problems were gone too, but he just didn't like remembering. Also the maggots. The maggots bothered him.

He found most of the girls in the far back corner of the woods, where the two maze walls met. There were two groups digging, one on either side of a preexisting grave, the wooden marker faded and covered with ivy. Still he made out the name Mary on it.

"Didn't seem right to put them next to each other," Joan said as she walked over to him. "How are you?"

Gally considered the graves in front of him for a moment.
"Alive."

"Count that as a blessing," Joan nodded.

She watched his eyes move over the group, undoubtedly looking for Aussie she figured.

"She's in the shed working on the grave markers," she informed him.

"Who?"

"Don't play dumb."

Gally laughed a light chuckle.
"What if I was looking for Gertie?"

"Were you?"

"... No, but I could have been."

He dropped by the kitchen before beginning his trek to the complete opposite corner of the Garden, feeling like he needed sustenance for a journey that far in his current state. He tucked the jar of peanut butter into his sling and carried the bag of bread in his bad hand, a butter knife tucked into his pocket. He ate an apple with his good hand on the way.

He hadn't been inside that building before but he remembered the crazy door on it. It was open now, propped so with a rock, and as he got closer he heard something he never heard before in the garden or in his memories. Singing.

Aussie's voice filtered sweetly through the air to a melancholy tune. He walked slowly and quietly, afraid to interrupt her and make her stop. He leaned on the wall by the door and listened.

"You and me have seen everything to see, from Bangkok to Calgary, and the souls of your shoes are all worn out, the time for sleep is now. It's nothing to cry about, 'cause we'll hold each other soon, in the blackest of rooms.
If heaven and hell decide that they both are satisfied, illuminate the 'NO's on their vacancy signs, if there's no one beside you when your soul embarks, I'll follow you into the dark.
I'll follow you... into the dark."

Gally felt the prick of tears sting his eyes and he tried to shake off the feeling of sadness from her song. He wanted to listen to her sing, just any words but those right now. He tried to step inside as if he'd only just arrived and was oblivious to what she had been doing.