Chapter 20: Accepting Fate

After witnessing how their only clue of what might have caused the apocalypse, both Cassie and Five felt completely defeated. All those 45 years hoping the would be able to put an end to the apocalypse just got completely crushed. There were so many things they could have done differently but somehow everything still conspired against them.

The two children walked towards the van that was still parked outside near the lab. Neither of them could fully wrap their head around on what just happened. The girl knew was that they had to think of a new plan and it had to be quick. After all the time was ticking.

Cassie entered the car and sat on the copilot seat taking a deep breath. She knew that there had to be someone responsible for the fire at the lab. It was impossible that it just happened by some accident.

As she turned to look to her side, Cassie spotted a very distressed Number Five. She knew how important this was to him so she knew he was devastated.

The boy sat down on the driver's seat and completely ignored Cassie who was just staring at him. All he did was reach out for a bottle that had some alcohol in it and began to open it.

"Five... You shouldn't be doing that. Your body as it is now is not made for that." Cassie said trying to take the bottle away from him but he didn't allow her.

"I don't give a fuck anymore. We failed." Number Five said ignoring her as he took a sip from the bottle. "The information we needed turned into ashes right in front of our eyes." He said shaking his head defeatedly not letting go of the bottle.

Cassie stared at him blankly for a few seconds before she managed to take the bottle from him. Without any hesitation, she chugged almost half of its content, since she knew letting Five drink the whole thing by himself was just a terrible idea. The only way to avoid that was by drinking half the bottle herself.

"Hey, that's mine!" Five yelled and took the bottle away from Cassie and looked at how much was left. "I have another bottle." He suddenly said and took another sip from it.

"For fucks sake, Five!" Cassie yelled at him as he confessed he had another bottle. "If you keep drinking you are going to pass out in a matter of minutes, and I need you around longer." The girl said looking back at him.

"Then join me." He said as he leaned closer to her waving the bottle right in front of her face.

"No! We have to think of something. Are you really going to give up that easy?" She said and pushed him away completely annoyed by how he was acting.

"There is nothing we can do, Cass! They don't want us to stop it, so we might as well accept our fate." Five yelled at the girl as he took another sip from the bottle and sat back getting frustrated.

"You look pathetic." The girl sighed and looked away from Five crossing her arms.

"Yeah, but you still manage to like me." Five said catching Cassie completely off guard and drank more from his bottle.

The girl decided to just ignore him, he was right about it but for the sake of saving the world, she wasn't going to acknowledge his words. She didn't want to fully give up but no matter what everything they tried always ended up making things harder. "If only we could narrow it down to a few people," Cassie said quietly looking out the window not putting much thought into it.

Five turned to look at her and idea coming up inside his head. "You are a genius!" Five suddenly said. His statement caught Cassie by surprise.

"What?" Cassie said and turned her view back at Five. At first, she thought he was mocking her but then she realized he was being serious.