Chapter 32: Recovery

It only took around 10 minutes for Diego to drive back home after Five passed out inside Harold Jenkins' house. This probably being the bumpiest car ride Cassie had ever experienced and that's saying something considering the many times she had been in a car ride where Five was driving.

Diego, Allison, and Cassie figured that the best decision was to take Five back to the academy. After all, taking him to a hospital wasn't really an option because of the amount of questions the doctors would ask about the boy's injury. Luckily, it seemed like Pogo had managed to fix Grace that very same day so she was able to help get the bullet out of Five's stomach and attend to his wound properly.

There weren't enough words to explain how scared Cassie was when Diego, Allison, and she arrived at the academy carrying Five's unconscious body. Deep down she knew that if it wasn't because of Grace intervening, she would have lost the boy she had managed to fall for very deeply.

Cassie was no stranger to feeling anxious, but when she saw Five's body laying on the floor with a bloody bullet wound on his stomach, she felt like her whole world was falling apart. She instantly knew she wasn't ready to lose him.

The girl stood by the door frame watching as Grace finished cleaning Five's wound and knowing that at this point Five should be alright according to Grace, she wanted to be angry at him about the fact that he went that far into not telling her about the severeness of his injury, but the truth was that she couldn't. All she wanted was for him to wake up and get to see his jade green eyes once again.

Suddenly Diego approached the anxious girl who was standing by the doorframe while staring at his brother lay in bed unconsciously. "I still can't comprehend how he was even walking this whole time with that bullet inside of him." Diego said to Cassie trying to start a conversation but wasn't exactly sure how. He was just trying his best.

Cassie turned to look at Diego for a split second and then returned her gaze to Five. "Our DNA was modified in case things like this happened while we worked at the Commission." Cassie answered Diego simply. "Let's say that Five and I can withstand physical pain more than the average person." She said trying to explain it in a simpler way for him to understand. After all, she wasn't in the mood to start bickering with Diego.

"Is that even possible?" Diego asked confused since it was the first time he was hearing about the whole DNA being modified thing. To him, that explained a lot.

"I know it's hard to wrap your head around all of this, but there are plenty of things in this universe that seem impossible that actually are possible." Cassie said quietly. "Take us for instance, the fact that we even exist should be enough proof of that." The girl said this time looking at Diego and giving him a half smile.

"You are right." Diego agreed. "Uh... I feel like I owe you an apology, Cass. I have been way too harsh on you since you and a Five got back. As children, you were nothing but kind to me I shouldn't have treated you like that and say that you didn't belong in our family." He said looking at the girl feeling genuinely sorry. Deep inside Diego knew that his attitude towards Cassie was because he resented her. He always saw how his father treated her differently than all his other siblings when it came to her training, after all, she was way more advanced than all of them for her age. When he was younger he didn't mind this as much but as he grew up and knew how no matter how advanced she was she still managed to fail on stopping Five he felt angry. He knew that things would have been very different if the two would have never disappeared.

"Don't worry about it... I'm already used to people being rude towards me, after all, I've been around Five for 45 years. So you can get an idea." The girl said letting out a quiet chuckle. "But I do appreciate your apology, Diego." Cassie replied softly. She really wasn't expecting an apology from Diego but now she was glad he did it. Truth was that she didn't want to taint all of her good memories she shared with him as children because of the very asshole like impression she got of him when she got back.