Chapter 29: The Commission (Part III)

After being dismissed from the Handler's office, Number Five walked down the hallway knowing very well that he was starting to raise suspicion. Five noticed that Dot was holding her case file, the same one he had attempted to steal, and then returned to its place.

He knew very well that this could only mean 2 things, he was either about to get caught on his plan or Dot just wanted to discuss something about her case with the Handler. But judging on Dot's body language when she first entered the room, Five knew it was more likely to be the first option.

The doors at the Handler's office were closed, so eavesdropping on the conversation wasn't truly an option. Also, people who walked past the door would find it very suspicious to see him spying on the Handler's and Dot's conversation.

Deep within Five felt slightly panic from the situation he was in. He wasn't sure if he was going to make it but he surely wasn't going to give up to the very last seconds. The pressure of knowing that his family, Cassie, and the rest of the world's fate was on him was starting to make him anxious.

Five walked right around the corner from the Handler's office and stopped there acting as if he was just minding his own business. In reality, he was keeping an eye on the door and just patiently waited for someone to leave so he could figure out what was going on.

A few minutes passed by and Five heard the office door open. He looked around the corner and spotted Dot walking out of the Handler's office with a message tube on her hands, and by the looks of it, she was in a rush.

Judging by the message tube container Dot was holding the boy instantly knew exactly where she was heading. Five looked at his surroundings making sure no one was around him and he spatial jumped into the tube room as soon as he lost Dot from sight.

Once Five found himself inside the tube room he decided to hide knowing that he wasn't supposed to be there. Blowing up his cover wasn't really an option even if it seemed like the Handler and Dot knew he was up to no good.

Suddenly, Dot walked inside Gloria's office completely on edge and that's when Five realized he was probably in trouble. If he wanted to save everyone he had to act quickly.

"Gloria, the Handler knows that Five is up to something. Get this to Hazel and Cha-Cha immediately." Dot asked Gloria as she handed the old woman the message tube container. "Immediately." Dot remarked her statement knowing very well that the urgency of the matter. But she had no idea that the boy was already a step ahead.

"Okay. Yeah." Gloria nodded at Dot as she held the message tube container in her hands.

As soon as Dot left the room, Gloria put on her Glasses looking at the label on the container just to make sure everything was in order. She started walking into the tube room to send the message when suddenly Five spatial jumped behind her and hit her in the back of the head completely knocking her off.

"Sorry, Gloria." Five said as he stared at the old woman who was now laying on the floor completely unconscious.

The boy quickly grabbed the tube container and walked over to Gloria's desk and sat down as he opened the message. Five knew that whatever was written in it was very important information and he couldn't allow it to get into Hazel and Cha-Cha's hands. After all, it was a message that was made by the Handler herself.

'REASSIGNMENT: PROTECT HAROLD JENKINS.'

Five stared at the message for a few seconds and all he could think about was how he had seen that name before. Luckily it only took him a few seconds to realize that it was one of the names Cassie had written down on her side of the wall when they were narrowing down who might cause the apocalypse. Turns out she had it right all along.