Chapter 33: Father's Death

The next day Cassie woke up as light peeked through the window and began to illuminate the room she was sleeping in so peacefully. The girl slowly opened her eyes and taking in her surroundings instantly realizing she wasn't inside her room, instead she was in Five's laying right next to him.

The girl remembered being extremely tired the night before but still somehow didn't remember her falling asleep. She didn't mind falling asleep next to Five, after all, it was something they did more frequently than they would both like to admit, but this time it felt different.

Cassie sat down slowly trying to avoid waking Five up, but wasn't able to. After all, Five wasn't a heavy sleeper at all.

"Good morning." Five said sleepily and yawned as he turned to look at Cassie who was sitting by his side.

"Hey..." Cassie said softly as she turned to look at Five. "How are you feeling?" The girl said wanting to know if he was still in any sort of physical pain.

"Well if I ignore the fact that the world is ending in the next 48 hours I would say I am doing pretty good." The boy said as he sat on his bed again and began stretching as if he didn't get shot the day before.

"Are you not in any pain?" The girl asked still a little concerned about Five's health.

"I'm fine." Five said lifting his shirt a little to look at his scar and surprisingly it has healed extremely fast. "See? No need to worry about me." The boy said and stood up from bed yawning once more.

Five was indeed in any sort of physical pain but that didn't take away the fact that he was exhausted mentally from trying to save everyone. Right now the thing he craved the most was a hot cup of coffee to get his energy back and finally put an end to the whole apocalypse.

"You always tell me not to worry about you, but I always do because I care for you." Cassie said staring at Five. "At this point, you are asking for something near impossible." She said letting out a small laugh and shook her head.

Cassie knew that Five knew all her raw feelings she has towards him. So she wasn't afraid of admitting that she cared for him. At last, the girl remembered everything from the night before but she wasn't sure if Five did. After all, he could have been drugged by the amount of medicine he was given to heal. What stuck to her the most was the fact that the boy had admitted to having some sort of feelings for her. The problem was that she wasn't exactly sure if she should bring it up again since their priorities for today were to finally get rid of Harold Jenkins.

Five looked at Cassie for a second letting her words sink in and then looked away. "I care for you too, Cass." Five said quietly not sure if the girl had heard him, but she did. "That's why we need to find this Harold Jenkins dude. That's the only way we both will finally be safe and free, not to mention that we would have saved all humanity." The boy says not used to expressing his feelings in this type of way.

Cassie looked at Five his words of him admitting on caring for her resonating inside her head. "You care for me?" The girl said with hopeful eyes. This was the first time Five was admitting to this openly so it all felt very new to both of them.

"Of course, I do." Five said getting closer to Cassie. "You know my promise still stands right? The one I made to you before I left to the commission." The boy said glancing at the girl and holding her hand gently. "The faster we get this over with the more time we have to figure everything out together. Wasn't that what you wanted?" He asks looking into Cassie's eyes.

The girl looked into Five's eyes feeling herself melt under his gaze and slowly nodded her head. "Do you want that?" Cassie asks quietly getting lost in the boy's eyes