Maybe Prom Night, Maybe Dancing

"First school dance!" Elle said, curling my hair. "My little Sunshine is growing up!"

"Elle. I've known you for 5 months and I've been a teenager the whole time." Elle laughed and said, "I have a surprise for you."

"What is it?" I said excitedly. "Heathers is reopening?" I knew that wasn't true, but it doesn't hurt to try.

"Oh, Sunshine, I wish. Anyway, I'm letting you have the dress I wore for the opening night of Heathers." Elle said.

"Wait, you mean I can keep it? Not just borrow it?" I said happily. Elle nodded, and said, "You deserve it. It's on your bed, now get dressed." I happily ran to my room and found a white and yellow dress on my bed. I loved it. I put it on and then put a white barrette in my hair and slipped on some white flats.

"Elle! I'm ready!" I cried. Elle opened the door and said, "Oh my God, Sunshine. You're beautiful, absolutely stunning. Go show Jessica." I happily ran to the living room and Jessica looked at me, wide eyed.

"Cat. You're gorgeous. You look older." Jessica said. She took my hand and said, "That's Elle's dress." Elle nodded and said, "Yeah. She deserves it."

Jessica hugged me and said, "Cat. First school dance. Be home by 8, don't get drunk, Evan's spying on you, don't kiss anyone."

"Are you my aunt or my drill sergeant?" I laughed. Jessica laughed too, and said, "In all seriousness, have fun tonight. Send me pictures."

I said, "Will do!" and took Elle's hand and started to walk out the door.

"Wait!" Ryan said, barging in the door. He slipped a corsage on my wrist and said, "You're growing up, Sunshine. Go have fun."

I got in Elle's car and Ryan waved from the front steps. Elle pulled out of the driveway and started driving to my school.

"No boys, Cat." Elle said. I laughed, and said, "The only boy I interact with is Axel. And the boys in my family." Elle laughed and kissed my hand. "I'll be here to pick you up at 8:30." I got out of the car, hugged Elle, and ran into the door of the school gym.

"Cat!" Red said, noticing me. "I love your dress!" Music was blaring at top volume.

"Thanks!" I yelled. "It's not mine, it's Elle's!" I started dancing, then I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Hey Cesca!" I said, turning around. Cesca was wearing a light purple dress. She took my hands and spun me around. "You look so pretty!" she said.

"Thanks! This is actually Elle's dress, we're the same height so it fits me perfectly." I said. "Speaking of my family, Jess told me to call her."

"How is Jess?" Red asked. I said, "She's walking a bit again, which I'm so happy about." Red and Cesca clapped, and Axel tapped Red on the shoulder.

"Why are we clapping?" Axel asked. I was calling Jessica, and Red said, "Jessica's walking again!" Axel hugged me and said, "Alright!" and we started dancing.

"Catlynn." Cesca said. I was distracted by the music.

"What?" I said.

"There's Violet Gardner." Cesca said. I hid behind Cesca and she said, "What's wrong?"

"My dress..." I said.

"What does your dress have to do with anything?" Axel asked. "I didn't mean to be rude."

"This is the dress that Elle wore on the opening night of Heathers." I said. "And you're not being rude, Axel." Axel nodded, and Red said, "Knowing her, she'll think you're a copycat."