Brand New Sheriff's Come To Town

Catlynn's POV

I was fixing up my hair in the mirror. I had decided I was putting it up for my presentation at school, I was sort of sick of wearing it down all the time. I put on the blue and white dress I had worn to Heathers, which was fitting, given my project.

Speaking of my project, I had forgotten to tell my family what it was about, except for Evan. He was the only one who knew.

I heard a knock on the door, then heard, "Sunshine! It's 8:00! We have to go!" and I frantically grabbed my backpack and opened the door.

"Geez, Sunshine, why are you so dressed up?" Jessica asked.

"I have a school presentation today. We're getting judged on it. This is huge, the whole school's going to be there. The three presentations with the highest scores are moving on to Nationals."

"Wait, did you say...you have a chance of making it to Nationals?" Elle asked. I nodded excitedly, and Jessica said, "We have no doubt you'll do amazing. Now, eat your breakfast and get in the car."

___________

"Woah. Catlynn McLemore." Cesca said.

"Yes, that's my name." I laughed. "What's going on?"

"What member of your family made you get that fancy for a school presentation?" she asked. I laughed, and said, "I chose to wear this. Considering that my project is about the adoption process and how it changed my life, it's fitting."

"You should've worn Elle's dress! That would've been better." Cesca said. Why didn't I think of that?

"Come on. Axel and Red are waiting for us." Cesca said, dragging me to the gymnasium where a bunch of kids in fancy suits and dresses were waiting.

"The eighth graders went all out!" Axel said when we saw him.

"The eighth graders are the only people doing this." Red said. "By the way, Cat, you look really pretty."

"I have never seen Catlynn with her hair up. Not once." Cesca said. 

"Liar! I wore pigtails for Spelling Bee!" I said, giggling.

"That's different. That's a costume." I said, redoing my ponytail. 

"And there's Violet Gardner." Axel said.

"I wonder what Violet's doing." Cesca said.

"Who knows. Literally half of the flute players are with her." Red said.

"Literally half of the flute players are in our class." Axel said. 

Then it hit me. If Violet Gardner was here, she would know about me being adopted. And we all know how that would end. I couldn't change my project last minute. 

"Is there any way we can present to the teacher privately and still get full credit?" I asked. 

Violet turned around and said, "Aww. Catherine's being a chicken. And nice dress you got there. Did you get it from your 'mommy?' Or did you get it from the dumpster where you belong?" Violet cackled and Cesca said, "God, I hate that girl. Just ignore her, Cat."

"Alright!" said the principal, shutting everyone up as teachers filed into the auditorium, along with some parents. If I had known parents could come, I would've invited Elle. "Let's get started! First up, we have Elizabeth Ashley, Catlynn McLemore, Axel Riesling, and Francesca Sawyer!" The audience clapped and Red grabbed the poster and set it up.

"Hi everyone. My name is Francesca, and these are my partners and friends. That's Elizabeth over there, but we usually call her Red." Cesca said. Red waved and started fixing the poster on the stand.