Chapter 1

"Mommy can you tell us a bedtime story?" A little girl asked from her bed, her brother nodded. "Of course, Harper." Her mom answered, "Let me tell you the story of a young girl who didn't quite fit in. "

There once was a girl who loved her life. She loved New York and how the city never slept. She loved to watch people passing by from her apartment window and wonder to herself what they might be walking to. Her favorite thing was to sit in Central Park and watch the animals and the people. Her name was Emma and she was very happy, for the most part. She had always been a little different.

When she was younger, and she heard kids playing in the halls of the apartment building or saw them running at the park, She would go to play with them. They liked to play with her because the most peculiar things happened when she was with them. This scared the other kid's parents though. So if they saw Emma playing with their kids they would rush their children inside.

There were two sets of parents though that didn't care about all the building gossip about Emma. One had a daughter named Emily and the other had a son named Percy. They all became fast friends as all the other kids began to avoid Emma and when they needed each other they were there. They quickly became inseparable. There had always been something in the back of her mind though, something she could reach but not quite hold.

It had been three days since she turned 11 and her parents had left her home alone. She was in her bedroom when she decided that something made her different from all the other kids and she wanted to know what that was.

So she left her room and went into her parent's room. She knew they had a box of personal papers and documents. So, she looked through knowing she might not like what she found, and she didn't like what she found.

Emma found documents saying she was adopted, "no," she whispered."Why wouldn't they tell me?"

"Emma, Emma where are you?" That was her moms friend, Amalia. "If she finds me in here with my parent's box I'm going to be in so much trouble!!" thought Emma.

She threw the papers back in the box, pushed the box into the closet, and jumped on the bed. "EM-!oh there you are Emma. What are you doing in here?" said Amalia as she entered the room.

"Just thinking about my parents." answered Emma. "Oh ok, well your mom asked me to check on you'' said Amalia, "Your good?" "yeah im good you can go home." answered Emma.

"Are you sure? You look pale." Amalia asked. "Yeah I'm fine.Its just... Sometimes I wonder if my parents are hiding anything from me. You know?" If anyone would know about the adoption it would be Amalia. Emma knew her mother told Amalia everything.

"I doubt they're hiding anything from you, hun. Even if they were, I'm sure it's for your own good." Amalia told her. "You know, Percy's dad isn't actually his dad. Gabes just his step dad." Emma told her. "Yes I know." Amalia answered, "Why don't we go watch a movie or something" Emma sighed, "Alright"