Chapter 2

For the next week Emma couldn't snoop around because her parents were home. One night as Emma was getting ready for bed there was a knock on the door. "Come in!" Emma yelled.

The door opened and her parents walked in. "Hey honey," her mom said. "Hi" she answered, "do you need something?" "we were just wondering if you had anything to ask us, Amalia said you thought we were hiding something from you."

CRASH

Emma had dropped the cup she was holding, "Nothing's wrong, mom" "Alright if you say so." Her mother turned to leave but emma stopped her.

"Actually."

"Yes Emma?"

"Do you believe in magic?" as she looked up at her parents she saw them exchange a knowing look. "I think," her mother said, "that everyone has a little magic in them, some have a lot of good magic and a little of bad or maybe the other way around," "like Gabe?" Emma interrupted. Her dad gave a short laugh "exactly like Gabe" "ok.....," Emma said, " so some people have more bad then good magic but what about the people with more good then bad magic?"

"Well some people hide it and some people use it. I think that's enough magic talk for tonight, you're sure there's nothing else you wanna ask us?" "Yes mom." With that they let her be and she slept.

The next morning Emma was very nervous because Emily had been on vacation and was coming over for the first time since Emma had found the adoption certificate and she wasn't sure whether to tell her or not. Finally she decided to wait for their sleepover to tell her.

That day they had a lot of fun building forts, pranking her parents, and painting in the living room. "Wow Emily, your art's amazing!" Emma had just snuck up behind Emily to look.

"Oh really? I dont think it's that good." she answered, "Are you kidding me?! It's amazing with the colors and the swirls, it's us standing in front of the Eiffel Tower!" Emma said, "Yea i know but the Eiffel wasn't supposed to swirl there and the hair colors aren't right and that shop was supposed to be swirled." Emily replied,

"Who cares no one will know."

"Yea but you and me will."

"So? I,for one love it,"

"Yea i guess,"

Later that night they were talking in the pillow blanket fort and Emma was being unusually quiet

"Emma," Emily said, "Are you okay?"

"yea why?"

" Well you're being really quiet and you look confused and deep in thought,"

"Yea it's just...." the girls rolled onto their sides so that they were facing each other, "Do you remember how all the kids in the building started avoiding me?" Emma asked.

"Yes,"

" and do you also remember that I've always been different?"

"Yes"

"well i just figured out why."

"really why?"

" Well I'm adopted."

"WHAT!" Emily yelled,

"shhhhh not so loud no one knows i know."

"sorry but what do you mean adopted?" Emily asked, "Well I'm not sure but that's why I look nothing like my parents" "Actually that kind of makes sense." Emily said. "Also..." Emma said, trailing off. "Emma it's okay you can tell me." Emily said. Emma nodded, "I think I can do magic" "WHAT" Emily yelled.

Emma's parents heard Emily this time so they went to Emma's room and walked over to the fort "Girls, you okay in there?" Her mom asked as she opened the blanket door. "Yea were fine."

As her mom looked at her daughter's face she saw tears and tear streaks coming down her cheeks. Emma had apparently started crying as they had talked about what it meant for her to be adopted and have magic. "Oh honey what's wrong?" Her mother asked as she sat down next to her and wrapped her arms around her.

That's when Emma broke down and told her everything, how she knew, when she found out, and she told them about all of her concerns. "Sweety it's okay," said her dad, "We'll train and it'll get better but until then you have to stay away from people, we don't want you hurting someone."

As the years went by Emma's magic grew stronger, faster then they could train. The girls were inseparable and practically joined at the hip but when Emma turned 13 she began shutting Emily out because she didn't want to hurt her best friend but all that did was hurt them both. As Emma got older she got angrier at her parents, at the world, and on the rare occasions Emily and Percy were let into the palace she got mad at them. By the time the girls were 14 Emily stopped coming to the palace, but Percy didn't. One day when Emma was 17 her parents went to a concert. On their way back a drunk driver hit them, causing the car to flip and both her parents to die.