Chapter 7

April 25, 1996 Tampa Florida
LILI'S POV
I groan as I hear the phone ring. What the hell? Who's calling at this damn hour? It's like one in the morning. I grab my phone off the bedside table.

"Hello?" I ask sleepily.

"Lili?" I hear a scared girl's voice. I widen my eyes. It's Angel, Nick's little sister.

"Angel? Is that you?" I ask, concerned.

I was wide awake now.

"Yes. Can you come please? I'm scared. Open the door." Angel's voice quivers.

"Open the door?"

"My mommy and daddy are fighting. A few minutes ago, there were loud bangs. I'm outside your house. "

"Okay, Angel, where are BJ, Leslie and Aaron? Are they with you?" I ask, while grabbing my hair and heading downstairs.

"Yeah." I hang up and open the door. Outside are Leslie, BJ, Angel, and Aaron.

"Come in. It's cold." I let them in.

"I'm sorry." BJ says. "We didn't know what else to do."

"Don't worry, it's alright." I say, while getting blankets out. I wrap them all in blankets.

"Are you hungry?" I ask, they look tired and hungry. They nod.

"Can we have pancakes?" Aaron pleads.

Leslie gives him a look.

"Aaron, be polite."

"No it's okay. Are pancakes okay with you guys?" I turn to look at them.

"Yeah."

I head into the kitchen and make them. I serve them on a plate and my heart breaks seeing how quickly they finish them. I made two for each.

"Do you want more?" Again, they all nod. So in total, they all eat four pancakes. Does Nick's mom not feed them? Nick and I were going to have a talk when he came back. Thank god I didn't go to Europe this time. I wash their plates.

"Do you know why your mom and dad were fighting?" I sit down on a chair and look at them. They all shake their heads. I sigh.

"Okay. Here's what we're going to do." I clasp both hands together. "It's time to sleep, so each of you will have a separate room okay."

"Thanks Lili." BJ looks at me with gratitude.

"Come on then." I pick up Angel and hold Aaron's hand. Thankfully, I have four spare bedrooms. Leslie chooses the light blue one. I tuck Angel in the pale purple bedroom. Aaron was already falling asleep, so I put him in the light gray room. I tucked him in as well. Only BJ remained.

By the time she was in the bed, she turned to me.

"Nick is lucky to have someone like you." she smiles. I give a little smile.

"Thanks."

BJ sits up on her bed. I get the feeling she wants to talk to me, so I sit down on a chair.

"When did you realize you loved my brother?" Out of all the questions I had in mind, that was not one I was thinking of.

"It's pretty unromantic from my side, but I would say I realized it after he told me. I could also tell he cared a lot about you guys and that was important to me." I smile at the memory. BJ smirks. I roll my eyes playfully.

"Wanna know some funny things about Nick?" BJ grins. I laugh softly.

"Sure."

"When he was smaller, like younger than Aaron, my parents called him Charlie Brown because he had a big head." BJ starts giggling. So did I. That was pretty funny.