Sacrifice

They say that each relationship is always work in progress, no matter how long you've been partners. Learning about a person, the love of your life, takes time. But for Son Ye Jin, she thinks she has her boyfriend all figured out.

He isn't a complicated person.

If he's mad, he'll say it. If he's delighted, he'll show it. If he's confused, he'll ask. If he's hungry, they'll go out and he'll actually say where and what he wants to eat.

Yejin knows everything about him— some of it include what time he wakes up on a weekend, how his day would not be complete without at least a 30-minute visit to the gym, how he likes his coffee black, how he like his egg cooked, how he likes the ac temperature exactly at 21c, how he sleep without a blanket, how he prefer his beer rather than hard drinks, how he like snuggling her before sleeping as he's smelling the lavender scent in her skin, how he hates the mint flavor, or how he weirdly doesn't like the skin of his fried chicken.

3 years with Hyun Bin and she can proudly 
say that she knows him.

Today is the first snowfall, and as their tradition dictates she had chicken and beer delivered into their shared place they call home. Bin was doing something in his kitchen, and Yejin prepared his food as she usually does, shedding the skin off his fried chicken and putting the crunchy little things on her plate.

The two enjoyed their moment together. Drinking and eating chicken in their living room while they talk about everything and nothing.

"Easy there, soldier

"Easy there, soldier." She warned, "We'll be going to your mom's house tomorrow. It's her birthday."

***

"Tae Pyung-ah! Eon Jin-ah!" His mother enveloped the couple into a hug. "Happy birthday, Eomoni!"

"Come on, let's eat! Your aunts from Gyeonggi have been dying to meet Eon Jin." Bin's mother started off, "...and I cooked your favorite! My recipe of fried chicken." 

A plate full of fried chicken was passed to the couple, before Hyun Bin took 2 for himself and put 3 pieces to his woman's plate. Pleasantries were exchanged before the dinner table and they found themselves catching up with Bin's extended family.

Unconsciously by habit, Bin stripped the chicken off it's skin, putting it on the side of his plate for Yejin to take.

She had always thought that they complement each other

She had always thought that they complement each other. She loves the food he hates.

Then his mother passed the plate full of chicken again, urging him to get more. "Come on. I know you can't resist the crispy skin of my fried chicken recipe!"

He had no other choice but to take another again, and his mother proceeded to tell the guests how her little Tae Pyung had this food almost everyday when he was a kid.

A very perplexed sat by his side, munching on the chicken. It was indeed the best she had ever tasted.

***

"I can't believe you let me eat your chicken's skin for 3 years without saying anything!" a flaming Yejin behind the steering wheel said. She insisted on driving, as she has something to do. "I thought you hated it! I mean, you kept putting it on the side of your plate!"

"....saving the best for last." Hyun Bin said, amused that she had discovered his not-so-secret.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY ANYTHING?" Yejin said, half agitated and half sorry."I feel so bad! Why did you let me?"

"Because I love you." Bin said, grabbing her free hand and intertwining her fingers with his. "And my love loves chicken skin."

Yejin blushed a little, her heart obviously fluttered by the admission of his 'little sacrifice'. "Still. You should've told me!"

And that's how Yejin found herself ordering another two buckets of chicken from their favorite restaurant despite Bin's refusal, insisting to feed him a lot 'to make up for lost time.'