Chapter 23

I quickly drove to Jane's parents house tears streaming down my face because I was so worried about Jane. I was probably speeding like a maniac but at that point I didn't particularly care.

I blamed myself for this of course. This was all my fault. I should've never left Jane.

Once pulled into the Lerman driveway I ran to the door and knocked like a crazy man. Emma opened the door, looking at me like I was insane. "Harry? What're you doing here?"

"I need to see Jane," I rushed out.

Her eyes widened as she took a closer look at me. "You're crying," She frown. "Don't cry, she's fine. She was just really stressed out. Come inside, it's chilly," She said.

I stepped into the house and followed Emma into the living area. "Where is she?"

"She's on her way home, she'll be here soon. Actually, I think I just heard them pull up."

As if on cue we heard the door open and close. I quickly rushed to the door to see John and Jane walking in. Jane was wearing a sweater and leggings, looking tired and worn out.

She was clutching her dad's arm as she walked in. She finally saw me and her face somewhat lit up. "Harry! What're you doing here," She exclaimed.

I shuffled over to her and hugged her tightly. She felt a little but skinnier though her baby bump was very defined. I was a little bit worried about her weight change. I didn't like it at all, I'd have to remember to ask her about that soon.

John, Emma, Jane and I all made our way into the living area. I politely asked John and Emma to leave so Jane and I could talk.

Once they left I turned to face Jane on the couch. "Jane..."

"Harry, I will tell you what happened but right now-"

"No! You tell me right now," I yelled, standing up off the couch suddenly feeling frustrated because I needed to know what happened. I blamed myself and I wanted to know what happened.

"Don't yell at me, Harry. I don't have to tell you anything," She snapped. "I know what you're thinking. And it's not your fault."

I sat down on the couch putting my head in my hands. "I know," I said. "I'm sorry."

"Look at me," She said softly. I did. "I'm fine, I really am, okay? I love you."

"I love you too," I said. I kissed her loving every second of it. I still felt guilty for not being there.

I was failing at being a father and the baby wasn't even here yet. Speaking of which, I needed to ask what the gender of the baby was.

I pulled away from the kiss and pulled Jane on my lap. She cuddled into me more and I lean my head on her head. "Jane?"

"Hm..." She hummed.

"What is the gender of the baby?" After I said it I cringed because of how rude it sounded.

"I didn't find out yet. I wanted to wait until you were with me," She said.

I nodded. I shifted Jane off my lap. "Is everything okay with the baby?"

"Yes, everything is perfect," She said. She paused wanting to say more. "I need you, Harry. I need you here with me."

"I'm here, I will be here with you. Always."

***

"Hello?" I asked.

"Is this Harry Styles?" A familiar voice asked.

"Yes."

"This is Ashley Freeman," She said.

"Uh, hi," I said nervously. I didn't know who this was.

"You got the job for PA today, at my company, though you came totally unprepared and you didn't even know what you were signing up for."

"Oh, right. How did you get my number?"

"Yes, well, I thought I'd call you to tell you the details of the job," She said.

"Okay."

Then she jumped into all the details about the job, what she expected of me and such. Nothing I couldn't do. She said I could start after the baby was born, she said she could handle by herself for a while.

After the phone call it was becoming a but late a bit late. I was about to go upstairs when John came and sat down on the couch. He motioned for me to sit as well. I did.

We sat in a comfortable silence for a while until I finally spoke up. "Uh, not that this hasn't been fun and all but what um, what are we- I mean-"

"Yes, it is very awkward isn't it?" He asked.

"Yes, it is, um sir."

"No need to call me sir," He assured me. "I need to tell you something."

"Okay."

"See, one of my buddies needs a place for his son and his friend to stay for a while and conveniently Pat and I have to go away for about three months or so."

"Oh," I said. Panic rises in me as I heard what he said. Two guys living in this house while Jane is here and I haven't moved in yet? I made a mental note to absolutely move in as soon as possible.

"These boys are wild and it's your job to take care of Jane."

I nodded at that. There was no doubt that it was my responsibility to take care of my girlfriend. "I will." Then I thought about Emma and Rose, what about them? "John, what about Emma and Rose."

"Oh, Emma and Rose will be fine. Strong girls."

So what Jane is the weakest link? John doesn't say anything after that, he just gets up and disappears down the hall.

I leave the house and drive back to Niall's apartment to get my stuff and immediately move into the Lerman's house as soon as possible. I needed to protect Jane now.