Take the long way home

The night was cold and clear. The stars and moon were shinning brightly in the winter night. Gabrielle was very happy that Jack had gone out and heated up his truck so that when he pulled up to the front door and helped her in, it was nice and toasty. Now as they were leaving the parking lot Gabrielle was thinking about how wonderful the day was when Jack broke into her thoughts with a question.

"So Gabrielle, I hope you enjoyed our date today."

"Jack, I have loved it. It has been so wonderful that I really don't want it to be over."

"Well it's not over until we say it is. Was there something else you wanted to do tonight?"

Gabrielle thought for a minute.

"Do you want to take a ride and visit the Christmas farm?"

"As you wish. Do you want to swing by your apartment to change? As beautiful as you are in it, your going to be really cold if we get out to walk around in that dress."

"I'd rather not have to run all the way back. How about if we just swing by target over there and I can grab something?"

"OK, that works for me."

...

Jack drove them further out of the city and toward the farm that always did the huge decoration display for the holidays. Everyone in this area in Missouri visited at least once a season just to look at everything they put up. They always went all out. Gabrielle was now dressed in a simple sweatshirt and pants under her coat. They continued talking about things and what was happening in the near future in both their lives. Their talked about their current Christmas plans and the things they had lined up for over the break. It felt like old times. Gabrielle was hoping that maybe there would a change in her plans for the holidays. She was hoping that Jack may want the same, to spend them together.

Once Jack parked on the little hill, the whole farm was laid out before them. The lights and decorations stretched on and on. Jack got out and walked over to open her door. Gabrielle was impressed that he was being such a gentlemen to her. It really showed her how much he was wanting this to work out for them.

As they walked down the path following the other people who were here to enjoy the display, Gabrielle still couldn't quite believe that they were here again together. They had visited here last year around this time. After what happened, she always figured that the next time she came here it would be with someone else. Gabrielle was glad that she was wrong about that. She decided to broach the subject of what came up over dinner. It would be a good way to gauge what he was thinking about the budding rekindling of their relationship.

"So Jack, what was that about the restaurant opening in LA."

"Oh yeah. They really want me to be there for opening night. Its in a couple weeks during the break. It's a bit of a big deal that they got there from where they were only six months ago and seem to think I am a major reason why. I kept trying to tell that that it was their food and service that made it such a hit. All I did was get the word out so people gave them a chance."

"They really seemed to appreciate your help and want to include you."

"They do, but once Jaycee and I split I just didn't really want to go to that by myself."

Gabrielle was now thinking... Should she offer? Would he think it's to forward or to much? Would he think she was just trying to use...

"I really think that after all the work we all put in to get there, that it is kind of special. I wouldn't want to share that night without someone special with me, you know? It wouldn't seem right to bring someone as just a date for the night. I would need to share it with someone I was in a real relationship with to make it feel right."