Family dinner

As they walked up to the door Gabrielle stopped for a second to take a deep breath. She looked at her reflection in the glass of the door and wished she had used makeup to cover her black eye. Jack had talked her out of it. He is right, her parents would want to see it, but Gabrielle just wanted to forget it happened. She knew that wasn't going to happen tonight.

Gabrielle opened the door and lead Jack in. They took off their Jackets as she announced their arrival.

"Hey everyone, we're here."

Gabrielle's mother came moving quickly out of the kitchen followed by her father. She came up and engulfed Gabrielle in a hug before pulling back and looking at her face and eye.

"Gabrielle, that still looks bad. Does it hurt much? Do you need to see a doctor?"

"No mom, it's fine. It doesn't hurt almost at all anymore. It looks worse then it feels. I will be fine."

Gabrielle's Dad came up and pulled her into a hug before stepping back and looking at Jack. He reached out to Jack and shook his hand.

"Jack... I may not have always.. forget it. Jack, I saw the videos, thank you for stopping him. Thank you for stepping in and protecting my little girl."

Jack was about to answer when Gabrielle's Mom engulfed him in a hug.

"Thank you for saving her Jack. I am so glad you were there."

Jack returned her hug and replied when she stepped back.

"I am glad I was there too. I wish it never had to happen but I was a stupid punk before and I screwed up. I have grown up a bit and will not do that again. I will always make sure I am there to protect my Gabrielle Mrs. M, Sir."

Gabrielle's parents looked at each other and back at the two of them. Gabrielle's hand had naturally joined with Jack's, and they could see that their daughter had made her choice. Nothing they said or did was going to move her. They also saw a difference in Jack. His answer was about more then what happened yesterday. They could see in his eyes a certain seriousness that was not there a year ago. They believed that he was telling the truth. He really had changed and grown up. Gabrielle's Dad decided that they really had no say in Gabrielle's decision anyway and decided not to fight it.

"I think I believe that Jack. I hope to see you are right in the future. Come on in. The food will be ready in thirty minutes or so. Everyone else is out in the dining room."

"Dad, did you talk to Aaron? Will he behave?"

"I hope so Gabrielle, but... I hope so."

Gabrielle looked up questioningly at Jack as her parents walked away. She seemed unsure of how to handle this. Jack leaned down and gave her a quick kiss. When he pulled back he saw a small smile on her face.

"Don't worry Gabrielle, I will be fine. We will handle it calmly."

"But Jack what if he ends up taking a swing at you?"

"Then he will find out what I have been learning this year Gabrielle. I will respond in kind."

"Jack? Are you sure?"

"Trust me Gabrielle. If it comes down to it, I promise I won't hurt him to much. Now we should head in."

Gabrielle mouthed that to herself as she tried to understand what he meant. Jack had never been this physically sure of himself before. She began to wonder what he was talking about learning this year.

They walked into the kitchen and headed out to the dining room where they could hear everyone else talking. When they were seen the conversation seemed to die as everyone looked up at them.