Boxes of the past

Ashley and Kate looked up from where they were sitting around the table when Gabrielle lead Jack into the apartment. They had been talking about the fact that Gabrielle hadn't come home last night.

"Well speak of the devil. Good morning Gabrielle. We were just wondering what happened to you."

"Hey Kate. Yeah, sorry, after dinner we went out to the Christmas farm and walked around. Then it got late and I ended up staying at Jack's. Sorry if I worried you guys."

"No problem, we were just wondering. Good morning Jack."

"Good morning Kate, morning Ashley."

"Morning Jack."

Gabrielle walked over to the table.

"Guys if you have anything of Mark's laying around I need you to give it to me. I have to gather everything up to have it read for this afternoon. The police will be bringing him by to pick up his stuff after he makes bail."

"Gabrielle, do you know that everything is out on social media already? They even have the security videos... I am so sorry he did that to you. How do you feel? That eye still looks bad."

"Thanks Kate. No, it's not too bad. It honestly looks worse then it feels. But yeah we know it leaked out. Jack found out this morning. I have already talked to my parents. I have no idea what to do about social media right now. Jack and I will figure something out. Now I am going to grab a box and start throwing his things in it. Come on Jack."

"Wait Gabrielle. One second please."

Ashley got up from the table and walked over to Jack. He just looked at her wondering what this was about. She then took a breath and reached out and hugged him. Jack was very surprised by this and took a minute to return it while looking quizzically at Gabrielle.

"Thank you Jack for being there and protecting Gabrielle. I know I haven't always been... But thank you for stepping in and saving my friend."

"Always Ashley. That is one thing you never have to doubt about me. I will always protect my Gabrielle."

She separated from Jack and then gave Gabrielle a quick hug before stepping back.

"Let me know if you need any help Gab."

"Thanks Ashley, but I think we can handle it."

Gabrielle then lead Jack into her room where she proceeded to dump everything of Mark's into a box she pulled down from her closet. 

Once she was done, she went back into her closet and came out with a small shoe box. She walked slowly over to her desk and opened it. Jack looked over her shoulder and was surprised.

"I thought you would have thrown that stuff out."

"I couldn't Jack. I tried a couple of times, but I just couldn't."

She pulled out a small angel figurine and gently placed it on her shelf. She then pulled out a bunch of pictures to place around it. They were pictures of them from over the years. Pictures showing how happy they had been. Gabrielle pulled down the frame that now had pictures of her and her sisters. She took it apart and put the original pictures back in their spots and hung it back up.

She stepped back and looked at her little shrine to them. It looked just like it had before. She had never thought she would have a reason to put it back together, but she was so happy she did. Her room felt complete again seeing her reminders of Jack back in their rightful spot. She could feel tears in her eyes as she was lost in the memories of when she had taken them down.

Jack placed his hand on her shoulder and gave her a little squeeze. He could tell that Gabrielle was feeling very emotional about putting back up the pictures of them. Gabrielle turned and threw herself into his arms crying softly.