Christmas miracle

As they opened the door to Gabrielle's parents home they could hear people being merry inside. Gabrielle announced their arrival.

"Hey everyone we're all here."

Dinner at Jack's family home was fun and homely like Gabrielle remembered. When Jack's mother saw the promise ring on her finger she had come over and hugged her tightly welcoming her back to them. Gabrielle was still feeling warm from knowing that Jack's family was fully behind them. She hoped tonight would go OK. She wished her brother would come around, but she would take civility right now.

Jack knew that no matter what Gabrielle said her brother's negativity was causing her a little bit of pain. She loved her family too much for it not to. So he decided that he was going to have to find common ground with Aaron somehow. Even if it meant sneaking away and going a few rounds.

They were all welcomed as Jack's parents and sister had followed them into the party. As Gabrielle was greeting her parents he pulled Madalyn and Cassie aside for a minute.

"Guys I need your help. Do you think you can distract Gabrielle for half an hour?"

Madalyn looked at Cassie and then replied.

"We can do that. What are you planning Jack?"

"Aaron and I need to work out something Madalyn. If you can distract her for a while I am going to ask him to join me outside and see what we can work out."

Cassie started to reply.

"Jack that's not a good idea. If Aaron had you alone we would..."

Madalyn cut Cassie off with a statement that surprised her.

"Jack, no matter how much of an ass he is being, Gabrielle will not be happy if you kick the sh!t out of our brother on Christmas Eve."

Cassie looked at Madalyn a little strangely as Jack replied.

"Madalyn, I don't plan on it. I promise if he makes it physical I won't hurt him... much."

Madalyn nodded and then turned to Cassie.

"Cassie, you don't understand. Jack is not the same guy you knew a year ago. When I said I saw him fight in that tournament and he was good, I meant it. He is really good. I have no fear that he could take down Aaron... hard... OK Jack we will take care of Gabrielle for you. Just get it over with quickly please."

"Thank you Madalyn. Thanks Cassie. I really hope it won't go that way"

...

The sisters were able to pull Gabrielle away as she saw that Jack was hanging with both their parents discussing his schooling. So when she said she was going to go upstairs with them for a little while he just kissed her and said he would be waiting for her when they were done.

As soon as they went up the stairs he made his move.

"Sorry to walk away, but there is something that I have to work out. I hope we won't be long. Mr. Moses I am going to ask Aaron to talk for a bit outside. If Gabrielle happens to come back down, please keep her inside. We need to end this one way or another to move forward."

"OK Jack. Look I talked to Madalyn so... Please don't hurt him too much if you have too."

"That is not my intention Sir, but this needs to be out of the way before later."

"I understand Jack."

Jack walked over to Aaron who was talking to their cousins.

"Aaron, do you have a few minutes to talk outside? Just us?"