First day of the future

The x-rays showed that Jack's ribs were not cracked, he was just very bruised on that side. After the doctor visit they ended up having to run back to Gabrielle's parents house for more boxes as they did not have enough left to pack up Gabrielle's stuff in her dorm. While they were there Madalyn volunteered to help them with the packing since Jack was going to be on light duty for a couple of days. That lead into Cassie also coming to help and the agreement to meet up with Gabrielle's parents at the new apartment to give them the mostly empty tour.

When they arrived at the dorm they were met by Ashley and Kate. The maintenance staff had just finished replacing the glass door and had left. When Gabrielle's roommates saw the boxes they looked a little baffled.

"Gabrielle, what with the boxes? Are you going some where?"

"Oh my God. I forgot to tell you guys. Yeah, Jack and I are moving into an apartment together over on Browstone street."

Kate just nodded, but Ashley looked a little upset. She followed the four of them into Gabrielle's room as they started to put together the boxes and gather things to pack.

"Your moving in together all ready? You guys just got back together a few days ago. Don't you think that is a little fast?"

"No Ashley it's not. Jack and I are... different. I know looking in it looks fast but honestly it's not for us. We aren't like other people Ashley... I really can't explain it. It's past time for us to move forward and now that we are back together and we know what we have, we aren't going to wait just to please other peoples ideas of how we should be. I don't want to miss anymore time away from Jack. I want to live with my fiancé."

Ashley tried to process what Gabrielle told her but her mind had froze at the word fiancé. She was really wondering if she had heard her wrong when she saw the ring flash on Gabrielle's finger.

"Gabrielle, your engaged? Jack asked you to marry him? How? When? Why didn't you tell me?"

Gabrielle stopped what she was doing after pointing Cassie at her closet with the large hanging boxes. She realized that with everything that happened in the last couple of days she had forgotten to tell any of her friends about her engagement. She walked over to Ashley.

"I'm sorry Ashley. I totally forgot. It has been an eventful three days. Yes Jack asked me on Christmas, right after midnight. It was beautiful Ashley. We can show you the video. Jack and my father made sure to record it. He was so... perfect. It was like a dream only better."

Ashley lifted Gabrielle's hand and admired the rings on her finger. She recognized the promise ring from before and saw next to it was a beautiful engagement ring. She realized that they really were going to do this so fighting it would just cause a fight. She gave Gabrielle a hug.

"Congratulations Gabrielle. I know you have been waiting a long time for this. I am happy that it's finally working out for you."

"Thank you Ashley. Don't worry we will only be four or five blocks away, so we will still see each other. I won't be disappearing, we just want to..."

"I understand Gabrielle. You don't have to explain."

Gabrielle turned back to packing as Jack was pretty much regulated to watching. Gabrielle was being very strict about forcing him to take it easy. Ashley didn't know about his injury so she walked over and gave Jack a hug. She heard his sharp intake of breath when she squeezed and quickly let go and stepped back.

"I'm sorry Jack, I didn't mean to hurt you. I just wanted to congratulate you on the engagement."

"It's fine Ashley. Not your fault. My ribs are just a little tender after last night."