Chapter 18

A little reminder:
(Y/HC): your hair colour
(Y/EC): your eye colour
______________________________________

I sat on a bed for what seemed like hours, trying to calm Amber down. It was totally worth it, however. But she kept speaking incoherently, so I couldn't understand what she was so upset about. All I could manage to make out was "worried", "friend", and "oh my God".

"It's fine, I'm fine, everything's fine, Amber," I sighed. I looked at the alarm clock between our beds. It read 4:00 PM.

"But, but..." she whimpered, going into another rant. This time I could understand her. "W-when y-you didn't c-come back ye-yesterday from your-your date, I-I was searching arou-around- everywhere for you! T-then I came back, an-and tried to remem-remember John's license plate nu-number. I was gon-gonna call the police, but I de-decided to wait 'til to-today," she stammered. "Oh God! I thought you d-d- died!"

"I'm fine, Amber. I'm back here in one piece, aren't I?"

"Yeah, but, (Y/N), you're my best friend. I was so worried about you. I didn't want to lose another best friend," she sniffled.

Her words caught me by surprise. I didn't expect her to consider me as her best friend. Not that I didn't think she was my best friend, but yeah. And her saying she didn't want to lose another one?

"What do you mean?" I muttered.

"My-my best friend, Ann-Annie, she was... she..." she trailed off.

"She what?" I urged her on.

There was a moment's pause. "She was kidnapped and killed," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

I stayed silent. I honestly didn't know what to say. I never heard anyone being murdered before. What a horrible way to go. "What was she like?" I asked in a soft voice, sounding a bit like Mum. Hopefully I said the right thing.

"She-she was quite a lot like you, actually. Had (Y/HC) hair, (Y/EC) eyes, etc. Quiet, shy. She was also made fun of because of her shyness," she murmured, her voice quiet. "We were basically sisters, we were so close. Then one day- Ju-July 13th, to be exact- she just, disappeared. Didn't show up for school, didn't come over to my house so we could walk to school together, nothing. She was reported mis-missing for a month until someone found her... body while supposedly treasure hunting. Her killer was found and convicted a year later. I was so-so heartbroken!" she cried, her voice cracking at the end. I pulled her into a hug and rubbed her back, like what Mum would do when I was little if I was crying. "Then I met you, and... you know... became my best friend."

"I'm sorry," I whispered in her ear.

"It's fine. Don't be," she sniffed, pulling away from me. "E-enough about me. Maybe you telling me about your date will cheer me up a bit. So tell me, how did your one night stand went?" she gave me a wan smile.

"What's a 'one night stand'?" I cocked my head to the side.

"Oh, never mind. I was joking," she flicked her wrist at me. "How did last night go?"

I sighed before continuing. It's amazing how her moods could change so quickly. "It was... fun."

"Details! I need details!" she clapped, going back to the typical Amber I remembered.

So I told her everything, going to the cafe; the little tour I recieved; going to John's family's lake house but getting stuck on the side of the road for 5 hours and ended up having to spend the night in the house; roasting marshmallows in front of the fire; my first dance and kiss; how I slept on him in front of the fire, wanting to be warm because the power went out; my first time swimming in a pool- she didn't seem to mind me borrowing her swimsuit; and the little hot tub scene.