chapter four

There was a lot of scenarios that Naya had replayed in her head if it ever came to Scorpius finding out she loved him more than a friend

However, despite that, she never actually prepared herself for if it to happened. It was barely something she contemplated about because it was invariably just a foresight. It never occurred to her that it was possible to become a reality.

When the day came, she trusted that while it was an awkward situation—that Scorpius wouldn't make a big deal out of it—however, her trust might have just been a little too robust.

"Why haven't you told me?" Scorpius asked her as he held down his growing nerves.

Naya was baffled but also genuinely unprepared. She was not flustered at the encounter but was caught off guard. She tried to think if the situation was even remotely normal.

"I just" She started averting her gaze," Didn't think it mattered" Naya inwardly cursed to herself as she thought for a moment on how her words could be taken wrongly. However, she was already biting more than she can chew—and she was hanging on a single thread.

Scorpius lowered his head as he tried to convey her words without assuming, however, he was angry at himself.

For starters, he was not even aware of his best mates feelings for him—especially with how he openly pined for Rose in front of her. It made him question just how awful he might have been—though he knew if Naya heard these thoughts she'd probably slap him for even thinking that.

When he thought about that reaction particular, he then realised that Naya had sacrificed her own happiness for his own.

He spent 5 years talking about Rose and how he fancied her. He spent those years asking for advice. He spent those years not realizing that his own best mate loved him.

"It does matter" Scorpius stated sternly, " It would have--

"What?" Naya furrowed her brows stopping him, " if you learned about my feelings what would you have done?"

Scorpius' eyes widened as he realized what he would have said. He would have said things could have been different--or could have remained the same.

However, that was not what Naya wanted to hear. He was only realizing that her decision was made and if he said something to counter it--he was merely looking down at her feelings.

What would he have done knowing?

He couldn't speak for it--and Naya didn't need an answer because she did not even tell him. He heard it by accident.

Though the thought of it still pained him when he thought of the pain he put her through.

"There is a lot of reasons why I decided not to say it, and I'm sorry you had to hear it, but Scorp--Knowing will not magically make you satisfied. You love Rose and I do not want this to make you think as my friend that you have to work around it. I know you, and I don't want you to ever feel obligated in any way."

Scorpius stood frigid as Naya gave him a smile before walking off. She was right, now knowing made his mind run wild.

It was exactly what Naya wanted to avoid.