chapter seven

The happenstance of running into each other at Diagon Alley might have been fate trying to show how foolish Naya and Scorpius were both being

While the two were so caught up on trying to not think of the other—it only made the situation nearly suffocating when they ended up directly before each other.

It was so tense and awkward that both of them had no idea what to even say or do. Instead, they became a nuisance to passerby's that just wanted to do their errands in the district.

They both remained in place and it took someone openly expressing their annoyance at them standing in place blocking the way for others.

Each time either of them had thought they had something to say—both cowered and ended up keeping the silence. The silence that was truly and impeccably ridiculous.

"Why did you leave?" Scorpius finally asked as he locked his eyes on her own. He watched how Naya had grown uncomfortable and it only made him mirror it.

It was so unnatural for them to be like this towards each other.

The nerves. The avoiding gaze. The unbearable stress.

Naya had known that for her—running away, was not the right thing—even if her fathers said it was okay to be selfish. That was not the moment she should have decided to do it.

It was supposed to be the special day that only came once and to her, she ruined it.

"I have no excuse as to why I left" Naya confessed," What I did is unforgivable to both you and Albus because regardless of how awkward it was, I should have not done that"

Scorpius wanted to nod and agree with her—but his heart hurt. He wanted to make a joke on saying it's okay—basically, just pretend.

He wanted to make it all go away with a laugh, however, it was a real problem that needed to be confronted and not pushed to the side.

He knew of her feelings and just as Naya feared, it was something that both wished didn't make things awkward.

He couldn't think of her that way in just a few days or weeks because she was always just a friend.

All of the romantic images never crossed his mind and it still didn't. However, he didn't know how to reject her.

Scorpius didn't know if saying "I don't feel the same way" would just ruin their friendship.

However, being the most expressive person he was—Naya had seen it all on his face and body gestures.

She knew this from the start, but it still didn't hurt any less with the preparation of knowing.

"I never said it and you only heard it—but Scorpius, I've loved you for a long time," Naya said with all the strength she could," But that was it, I loved you but I never wanted you to know and I never wanted it to become something" A small laugh filled her throat," It's a little funnt, we somehow ended up loving someone so much without them knowing"

Naya raised a hand to her face and the smile she tried to force disappeared. Instead, her lips slowly fell to a frown and her eyes drooped," But do me a favour, Scorp. Don't make the same mistake as I did and tell her. Tell her how you feel or else you'll regret it as I do"

Before Scorpius could say anything, someone roughly bumped into his back and when he struggled with balancing himself—He heard the sound of Naya disapparating away.

However, on his hand that felt the rush of the wind left by the transportation was a smooth stone.

One that he and Naya both found at the Black Lake and on the back was engraved with their initials and a few words.

"Together until the end"

His vision blurred and the memory of their laughter they shared filled his ears.