chapter ten

Naya has counted all of the ridiculous choices she has made over the last five years

It was starting to add up and she was starting to realize that her life was a whirlwind of ludicrous decisions.

Running away. Moving across the world. Dating on impulse.

It was quite frankly starting to make her subdue her life into fraud. Naya Thomas-Finnigan was not even sure who she was anymore.

She lost her rational intuition and at the rate, she was heading—the path she laid was only becoming muddled with her reckless preferences.

It was almost absurd how one person can continue to do it as if it was like breathing.

To forget who she was—to forget where she is from and lastly, to forget why she was even doing it in the first place.

While her mind no longer been frequented by her former best mate—it was the matter of how she did not truly find the closure.

The leading factor to this all was that Naya just wanted to escape. She wanted it to just go away.

She just wanted things to have never changed in the first place.

"Until we meet again"

Those words, that Naya couldn't help but laugh at. The words that she had no faith in. The words that she would have believed in before she decided to it was time to grow up.

"We shouldn't do this" Josef said solemnly as he sat before Naya in their shared loft. The place the couple had moved into a year and a half after pursing a serious relationship.

Naya lowered her head to the coffee table between them. On it was half of the multiple invitations for the wedding between the pair.

Wedding. Oh, how, insane it was that it had come this far.

Josef cared for Naya deeply, but just like her—the love was not there. In fact, while he was the logical one in the sense of choices, even he went down this path on impulse.

"When we already sent half out?" Naya asked genuinely confused with the lack of hurt.

The male let out a dry laugh as he lifted one of the envelopes," The half that sent was most likely to the people who'd forget it about it...except maybe one"

Naya furrowed her brows as she stared at him," What do you mean, except maybe one?" She emphasized the last three words with caution.

Josef leaned on his palm and his face was showing guilt," I'm sorry Naya, but I may have sent it in frustration. At myself mostly"

She hardly gave him a moment to explain his guilt as she rummaged through the invites on the table. Her eyes scanning each name and each time she didn't see the certain one she was looking for her panic grew.

"Please tell me you didn't" Naya's voice cracked in dread at the fact she having no luck in finding the envelope.

Josef felt bad as he held the envelope she was searching for behind his back, but this was exactly what he needed to confirm.

He knew that from the start this was a mistake on both of their parts, and while he was in no shape to test her—he knew that without his interference, Naya would have continued her cycle of running.

He didn't want her to make the same mistake as he did. The love he could never get back. He did not want that for her, or at least to find the closure that he didn't do either.

It was unforgivable but also, it might just be what Naya needed.

When she sat back in frustration after checking the pile more than she needed, Josef raised the envelope from behind him.

"You can hate me for this, but I just want you to be happy" He confessed as he handed her the envelope and placed a soft kiss on her head before leaving the loft with a packed bag.

When she saw the name on the envelope, her closed heart burst open.

"Even after all this time" Naya mumbled to herself.