can't stay away

NINE - JENNIE

Another three weeks later and I've been ignoring Lisa's texts. She's demanding answers, insisting that we need to talk, but I don't respond. I didn't have answers to give her, none that would come of any good.

I found myself with questions of my own, for myself and for her. What would it mean if we gave in? What would happen after? These are questions for which I have no business finding out the answers to. I knew that no matter how it went, the outcome wouldn't be good. Not in our circumstances.

But we couldn't avoid each other forever. Kai's parents had welcomed me into their family and Kai had all but confessed his love for me.

He threw the word around all the time. I love spending time with you. I love how you smell. I love your laugh.

It was nice to be loved. Yet, I couldn't tell if it just seemed this way because I may not have been fully committed to Kai in the same way he was to me, but he was becoming overbearing. There came to a point when we were together when I just had enough of him and wanted to be on my own so I could think about his sister in peace.

However, the next morning, I would always want to see him again. I hoped it would change when I fell in love with him, and I hoped I would fall soon. I never realised how hard it would be to remain faithful to someone who you wasn't in love with. Perhaps I shouldn't have entered into an official relationship with him until I was sure.

But it had been different then. I had been sure that I wanted to be his girlfriend. My feelings have only changed because I met his sister. How could I have known then?

It didn't do well to dwell though. It had already happened and I could still see myself falling in love with Kai, providing Lisa didn't get in the way too much.

I was looking forward to our date tonight. He had planned it and it was a surprise, the only clue being to dress casually. It was a warm night, so I wore a white camisole crop top that showed my cleavage a little, and a purple cardigan in case it got chilly, with some blue jeans.

My phone bleeped and I saw Kai text me to say he was outside. I applied some gloss, grabbed my bag and went outside and climbed in his car. As I got in he leaned over to peck me on the lips.

"Ahh babe, not the gloss," I whine half-jokingly.

"Couldn't help it you look amazing," he laughs.

I thank him and compliment him back, feeling safe with my outfit as he wore a simple t-shirt and jeans.

He drove off, but I still had no clue where we were going.

"Can you tell me where we're going now?"

"Guess."

"I have no idea."

"Look in the back," he says and I glance at the backseat to see a picnic basket.

"Are we having a picnic?"

"You guessed it."

I squeal in excitement, prompting a smile from him that was shaded with what seemed like relief.

We drive for a while until he finally pulled up. It was dark and I wasn't sure exactly where we were, but it was spacy and seemed like a good place for a picnic.

Kai got out of the car and grabbed the picnic basket. I got out and he takes my hand, guiding me to where he wanted to go.

We were on a large grassy area that overlooked a river. Lit up by the moon and stars and some streetlamps, it was a perfectly romantic spot. There were a few other people about, but Kai led me to a spot where we couldn't hear anyone else.