Reception Tribulation

What the--

Arnav couldn't believe that his phone was missing again. He knew for sure he'd left it in his room before he'd gone to the gym.

"Hari Prasad! Om Prekash!" He yelled as he stormed down to the kitchen.

"What is it, Bhai?" asked Akash. He and Payal were sitting in the living room with Mami and Mamaji.

"I can't find my phone again. I left it in my room and it's gone. Did any of you go into my room when I was gone?"

"I saw Dadiji go in," Payal remembered. Then, realizing that she may sound accusatory, she said, "But I don't think she took your phone. I just saw her when I was leaving my room to come downstairs."

Arnav's brow furrowed. "Where's Naniji now?"

"She took Lakshmi for a walk," Manohar said. "She should be back soon."

"Speak of the devil," murmured Manorama as Devyani walked in.

"Naniji, have you seen my phone?" Arnav demanded right away.

"It broke," she replied calmly.

Everyone stared at her in disbelief for a second. "It broke?" Arnav repeated. "What do you mean, it broke?"

"I took it with me when I went out with Lakshmi and it fell into the mud and broke."

"You--" Arnav started but Manohar got up and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"One moment, Arnav bitwa. I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation. Ma Ji, why did you take his phone with you?"

"Mine was out of battery, and I wanted to keep an eye on the time. So I took Chote's. Was that such a crime?"

"Yes, it was," Arnav retorted. "Taking someone's things without their permission is called stealing, and that is a crime."

Devyani was affronted. "You're my grandson, Chote. Or are you forgetting that?"

Manohar intervened again. "Where is the phone now?"

"I told you it broke."

"Okay, but where is it?"

"I threw it out."

"You what?" Arnav exploded. "Why would you throw it out?"

"It was broken."

"Broken things can be repaired. Do you know how many important contacts were in that phone?"

Devyani's eyes narrowed. "Oh, I know exactly which important contacts you're worried about."

"What's that supposed to mean? You know what, I don't care. I don't know how, but you're going to get my phone back."

Furious beyond belief, he stormed off.

***

The fight between Arnav and Devyani had unnerved Payal. From what she knew of Devyani, she was a reasonable and intelligent woman. Her taking Arnav's phone without his knowledge and then throwing it out seemed so...uncharacteristic.

It was still on her mind when Khushi video called her later that night. She didn't mention it, though. Instead, she spoke about how well things were going and how good the Raizadas were to her. Thankfully, neither Khushi nor Buaji had picked up on her worry.

However, had she been less preoccupied, perhaps she would have picked up on how uncharacteristically quiet both Khushi and Buaji were.

As it were, their calls ended with both parties oblivious to the other's troubled minds.