Serious About a Girl

Manorama Raizada was not a stupid woman. Yes, she was silly, over-the-top and self-absorbed, but she wasn't stupid. And right now, as she applied another layer of red over her lips, her mind was working at a million miles per second.

"Uh-oh," her husband, Manohar, said as he stepped out of the bathroom and spotted the pensive look on her face. "You're thinking, Manorama."

"Hello hi, bye bye; I am always thinking."

"Yes, but when you think this much, it's always dangerous." Quailing under the look she sent him, he quickly added, "What's on your mind?"

"Akash bitwa told me he likes a girl. But he still hasn't told me her name. Why?"

"There's been a lot happening what with Sheetal and Aarav, Manorama. He hasn't had a chance."

"What Sheetal and Aarav? It's been one week since she was arrested and Anjali decided to play mother with the boy. No, Akash bitwa is hiding this girl from me. I need to get to the bottom of this." Putting down her lipstick with an air of determination, she scurried out of the room, Manohar following close behind, trying to calm his wife down.

Akash's door opened before she could barge in. "Good morning, Ma," he said, smiling at her. "Were you coming to me?"

"Who is she?" Manorama demanded.

"Who?" asked a confused Akash.

"Manorama, please calm down," huffed Manohar as he caught up.

"You said there was a girl you liked. Who is she?"

"Ma, I said I needed to talk to her."

"Never mind that. Tell me who she is."

"Mamiji, please," Anjali said. The ruckus had brought everyone out of their rooms. Walking up to her aunt, she said, "Let's talk about this later, okay? We have to get ready for work--"

"No one's going anywhere until I get my answers."

Wincing at her shrill tone, Arnav said, "Why don't you tell her Akash? After all, you're serious about this girl, aren't you?"

Di sent Arnav a furious look but he only stared back coolly. If she and Akash wouldn't listen to him, then maybe Mamiji would knock some sense into them.

"Serious? He's serious about her?" She whirled around to face her husband. "Do you hear this Manohar? He's serious about this girl. Who knows how long this has been going on for?"

"Ma, it's not like that--"

"Manorama, please--"

"Mamiji, let Akash explain--"

"Enough!" The last word rose above the din, capturing everyone's attention and commanding silence. Devyani Raizada looked at Manorama firmly. "This is still my house. And in my house, there is a way to do things. This is not that way."

"But saas-o-ma--"

"Shh, Manorama. It's time for breakfast. Anything that we need to talk about can be discussed calmly at the table."

Dutifully, everyone followed Naniji down the stairs and sat down. Reaching for the teapot, she said, "Now, Manorama what is the issue?"

"Akash bitwa is serious about a girl. And he's keeping it a secret."

"Is this true, Akash?"

"No, dadiji." He hesitated. "It's true that I'm interested in a girl, but I haven't spoken to her about it. She has no idea I'm interested in her."