Invisible Strings

"Good morning," Nandegra Amit smiled benevolently at the dazed secretary. "I'm here to see ASR."

"Just one moment, Sir." She picked up her phone. "Mr. Raizada, Mr. Nandegra Amit is here to see you."

"Does he have an appointment with me?"

"Um...no, sir."

"You are aware that I don't see people without appointments?"

"Yes, sir, but..."

"And as my secretary, is it not your duty to send people without appointments on their way without bothering me?"

"Uh..it is, sir."

"Then do your job."

With that he hung up. The secretary gulped. "Um, Mr. Raizada says he won't see anyone without an appointment."

A dark cloud passed over the politician's face, terrifying the secretary. But then his expression cleared and he said, "Very well, then. When can I make an appointment with him?"

"Let me just check his calendar--" her phone rang. "One second."

"Don't you dare make an appointment with that man," Arnav growled and hung up again.

She silently prayed for herself, hung up the phone and then said as smoothly as she could, "I'm afraid he's very busy, Sir. There are no appointments available in the foreseeable future."

Amit's eyes glinted dangerously. "I see."

As he turned and stalked off, the secretary wondered if her boss had a death wish.

***

Akash stretched as he suppressed his yawn. "Alright, so I'll go finalize the budget details and send them to our accounts manager."

"And I'll finish putting together the presentations for the behavior sessions. What about you, Di? Will you stay longer or go home?"

"I actually have another meeting, so I'll stay too."

Akash glanced at the clock. "You have a meeting now, Di? The workday is over."

Di grinned. "This meeting is of a...more personal nature." There was a knock on the door. "Ah, she's here already. Come in, Payal Ji."

"You have a meeting with Payal? About what?"

"There are some wedding details that we need to discuss."

That was Arnav's cue. "Alright, I'll leave you to it."

As he sauntered out, Akash asked, "Do you need help?"

Payal smiled sweetly at her caring fiance. "Thank you but we'll handle it."

"Alright. We'll drop you home when we finish, okay?"

"Sure."

When they were alone, Anjali pulled out a notepad. "Okay, I think we should exchange our information so that we're both on the same page. Plus, we need to make sure that we're not just jumping to conclusions."

"You're right."

With that the two of them got busy. Anjali was surprised to hear that Akash had snuck Payal out on a date on New Years, resulting in Arnav and Khushi waiting for them together but not as shocked as Payal was to hear that the two had danced during the anniversary party and she hadn't even noticed.

"It's because you were too caught up in your own dance with Akash," Anjali teased.

They concluded that this was when Arnav's feelings towards Khushi had changed because the interaction before then had been during Aarav's adoption process and Arnav had not taken that well.