22

"So Derek, why don't you tell us a little more about your man?" Erica grinned while they waited for Stiles to return with the jeep. 

"Really? Now?" Derek growled at her, glancing briefly at Aiden.

"Come on, it'll take their minds off everything. Plus, there's nothing we can do right now anyway." 

"Why do you care so much about my personal life?" Derek questioned her, earning an eye roll. 

"You are basically our dad. We want to know more about our new Step Mommy." Erica smirked and threw Derek a cheeky wink. He glared in return but she wasn't backing down. 

"In all seriousness, it might help boost our morale." Aiden gave them a weak smile and Derek knew he was being guilt-tripped. 

"What do you want to know?" Derek grumbled out, giving in to his betas. 

"How  long have you been together?" Erica asked first.

"A few months." Derek figured the best way to handle it was to tell as much truth about his situation as possible. Sure they could think he was talking about Parrish but at least they wouldn't be able to sense the lie if he told them about Stiles.

"Do you love him?" Boyd wondered earning a playful pout from Erica and Ethan who thought he was adorable. 

"Yes."

"You top or bottom?" Jackson piped up as Erica high-fived him. 

"Uh-" Derek choked out, not entirely sure how to answer that. 

"You really think Derek bottoms?" Erica laughed. 

"You never know what someones into between the sheets." Ethan chuckled quietly while Jackson lightly shoved him. Aiden groaned from where he was laying. "Are you guys going to get married?" 

"Maybe one day. He's still young and I don't want him to miss out on his life because of me. I want him to have everything he's ever dreamed of and I don't know if I can give that to him." Derek hadn't admitted it to himself yet and he definitely hadn't told Stiles. Derek looked up and noticed Erica staring at something behind him. He turned around and his eyes rested on Stiles who looked like he had seen a ghost. Derek cleared his throat. "Do you guys want to help me load him into the jeep?" Isaac, who had joined Stiles for the journey moved so Ethan could climb in. Jackson, Boyd and Derek carefully hoisted Aiden into the car, resting his head in his brother's lap. They carefully closed the door behind him leaving only one more seat in the jeep. Isaac got back in the front before Erica could call shot gun, leaving the others to head back on foot. 

When they all arrived back at the loft it was quiet. Deaton hadn't arrived yet and there was a tension in the air that no one could place. Derek wondered how much Stiles had heard. Clearly something as the boy had been avoiding him since they returned.

When Deaton finally got there, the pack dispersed, trying to give him the space he needed to treat Aiden. Stiles managed to avoid Derek, staying plastered to Scott's side the whole time. 

"Whats with Stiles?" Lydia asked Derek who was moping in the kitchen. 

"I think he heard me talking to some of the others." Derek kept his voice quiet, making sure no one was listening to them. "I think he thinks I want to break up with him." 

"Do you?" Lydia asked, the protective side of her starting to come out.

"Of course not. I just..." Derek stopped. "Stiles is it for me. But I don't know if he's ready for that. I don't want him to miss out on anything because of me." 

"He's your mate." Lydia deduced, almost whispering the word. Derek clenched his jaw, looking away from her. His eyes drifted to the pale boy who was sitting on the stairs with Scott, Allison and Isaac. The most incredible person he had ever met. 

"Don't tell him." 

"I won't. But you should." 

"I don't want him to be with me because he feels obligated." Derek ran a hand through his hair, nervous. "I will tell him. I have to before..." 

"That's why you're waiting?" Lydia gasped placing a hand over her lips in shock. 

"It's part of the reason. Once we uh..." He paused wondering why he was talking to Lydia of all people about this. "It will be for life." 

"Lyds, I think Stiles is heading out." Scott came over, oblivious to the conversation that had just taken place. "You need a ride home?" 

"Uh yeah, I should head out." She gave Derek one last comforting smile before walking out with Scott, Isaac, Allison and Stiles. Derek watched Stiles leave the room, wishing he could stay forever.