27

No one had expected to see Peter at the hospital. He hadn't been around since the pack meeting a few weeks ago. 

"What are you doing here?" Malia asked, folding her arms.

"I heard of the incident and thought my nephew could use some help. I've always been fond of the Stilinski boy." Derek growled under his breath as Peter smirked at him. "Since you've got your hands full here, I can go check out our friends at the station." He offered. The pack studied him, all skeptical of the former alpha. 

"And how do I know that all the information would get back to me?" Derek questioned, carefully eyeing his uncle. 

"Send someone with me." Derek tensed at the idea of sending one of his betas with Peter.

"I'll go." Lydia offered but it was clear she was visibly uncomfortable with the idea. Erica took her friend's hand, holding her in place. 

"You have to stay and be here for Stiles." Erica insisted. She couldn't imagine leaving for a second. 

"I will," Malia spoke quietly but they all heard her. Kira locked eyes with her, making sure she was okay with the decision. Malia gave her a small nod before getting to her feet. Even though she didn't trust him, she believed he wouldn't hurt her and if he was up to something, she was the best option.

"Are you sure?" Derek asked her. 

"Yeah. I'll let you guys know what we hear." She promised as she followed Peter out of the hospital. As they walked out they passed Scott, Allison and Deaton who had finally made it. Derek greeted them and escorted Deaton to Boyd's room so he could take a look. When he returned to the pack, Scott, Allison and Lydia were off to the side talking to Melissa. Lydia felt him staring and met his eyes. Hers were filled with worry. Derek joined them, heart pounding. 

"How is he?" 

"He has lost a lot of blood and is still unconscious," Melissa informed him, sensing the concern he was overwhelmed with. "Has anyone heard from his father?" Melissa asked them. Lydia shook her head. 

"The Sheriff's not answering his phone. I'll try calling Deputy Parrish." Lydia slipped away and dialled his number. 

"Can we see him?" Derek asked, unable to keep it to himself. 

"I can only let in his family right now, I'm sorry." 

"Mom-" Scott started but she cut him off. Allison took his hand and lightly squeezed it.

"I know, but I have already pulled strings for you guys. If I pull too many, people will start asking questions." Melissa sighed apologetically. 

"Thank you," Derek told her, knowing she had done all she can. 

"As soon as Noah gets here, I can talk to him about letting a few of you in." She placed a hand on her son's shoulder, gently squeezing it. "I know you're worried about him honey but he's going to be okay." With that, she walked away and Lydia returned to them. 

"Jordan said he's been trying to get the sheriff to leave but he's focused on interrogating them," Lydia told them what she had learned between declarations of adoration. "Jackson, Aidan and Ethan are on their way here. Malia and Peter are still staking out the station just in case. I talked to Jackson, he said the two kids are assassins called the orphans." Derek nodded his head toward the rest of the group and Lydia, Allison and Scott followed him over. Isaac had his arm wrapped around Erica, still amazed by the lack of snarky comments she had made over the last few hours. She had stopped crying a few minutes after Deaton had showed up but Isaac could still hear her heart racing with worry. Kira was texting Malia, concerned about how things were going with Peter. Allison, Lydia and Scott sat down and Derek stood before the pack. Jackson and the twins slipped into the group as Derek began to explain to them what was going on. 

"The people who attacked us today are a duo of assassins who go by the Orphans. Deaton is looking over Boyd right now but he said everything looks manageable. He's going to be fine." He looked at Erica as a smile slipped onto her face. "Once Deaton leaves you will be able to go see him, however, we don't want to overwhelm him so maybe one or two at a time." They all nodded in understanding. 

"What about Stiles?" Isaac interrupted. 

"Stiles is still unconscious. He has lost a lot of blood." Derek forced himself to stay strong, not willing to let his betas hear the crack in his voice. Derek wished he could go sit beside Stiles's bed. He wished he could hold his hand while he slept and take away any pain he might be feeling. He wished he could kiss his lips and wake him. But he knew that was impossible. 

"Is he going to be okay?" Kira asked softly.

"He's going to be fine. It will take him a little bit longer to recover than Boyd but, I promise you all Stiles will be okay." 

"Where is he?" Their attention was pulled away by Noah Stilinski's voice. Lydia jumped to her feet and made her way over to the Sheriff, followed by Derek. "Where's Stiles?" He asked Lydia as she approached him. 

"Melissa's with him." Lydia supplied. 

"I can take you to his room." Derek offered and he nodded. The two men made their way to Stiles's room and Melissa joined them outside the door. She immediately pulled Noah into a hug. 

"I'm so sorry." She whispered. 

"Can I see him?" She allowed him into Stiles's room and Derek caught a glimpse of him before the door closed. He looked almost peaceful and he had been patched up. He was still out cold but his heartbeat was slow but steady. 

A few minutes later, Melissa emerged and went to the pack. 

"You kids need to go home and get some sleep, I'm sure your parents are worried. Vernon will be able to leave tomorrow but we need to keep him overnight to avoid any complications." 

"I'd like to stay." Erica pleaded her eyes on the verge of tears again. She was both physically and emotionally exhausted and she wanted nothing more than for Boyd to hold her.

"I think that will be okay." Melissa smiled sympathetically. 

"Melissa's right, the rest of you should go home and get some rest." Derek sighed. "I'll be staying here on guard." 

"I'll stay too." Scott offered but his mom shook her head. 

"I'll call you if anything changes." She promised. Isaac went to speak up but Melissa silenced him with the same look she had given Scott. The pack members reluctantly left with the exception of Lydia. 

"Go home, Lydia." Derek urged her. She bit her lip and nodded, following after the group to catch up with Allison. Melissa took Erica to Boyd's room before going back to Derek.

"You really care about them." She commented knowingly. 

"They're my pack." He shrugged, "It's what any alpha would do."

"I know Noah really appreciates you looking out for his son." She smiled. Derek tensed as she implied something. "Stiles is lucky to have you." 

"Thank you," He mumbled softly and she nodded.