Step by Step

Nina spent the afternoon writing deciding that any observation of Loki would be helpful to her job if she cared to share it. She wandered back and forth checking on him and his energy which was leveling out. She placed a passive energy field around him to allow him to move but if he used magic it would alert her. So far she couldn't locate a glimmer of magic but she had no idea when that would change.
She was relieved he seemed to be stable, physically anyway, mentally there was turmoil but she couldn't see past his defenses.
"Good day." his soft deep voice startled her she swung her head behind the couch she was sitting on.
Loki stood in a pair of grey sweat pants and white t shirt she had found in her father's closet they fit near perfect just a little snug. He looked like a model and she swallowed hard.
"Hi, how are are you?" She made her way to his side where he leaned on the door frame.
"I will live." He allowed her to help him to the couch where he sat slowly and stiffly.
"I'm sure."
"Hunger moved me to awaken."
"Alright, I'll make you something." She took the chance to face away from him moving into the kitchen feeling uncomfortable with how attractive he looked.
"I thank you for the clothing as odd as it is. Is it your mates?" He asked he was curious.
"I'm not a animal you know. Humans don't have mates or at least we don't call them that, and no they were my dads."
"So what do you call it then?" He watched her moving around the far room.
"Boyfriend, girlfriend, not mate that sounds weird."
"Ahh ok then what of your father?"
"He died a year ago." Nina's ache returned to her chest as she tried to focus on making waffles.
"I'm sorry." Loki was honestly sorry he knew the pain of father issues.
"Thank you." She managed.
"So where did I fall to." He leaned back onto the couch staring at the large window in the livingroom. "Looks like some kind of jungle?"
"Forest not jungle in the mountains." She chuckled.
"Does it snow daily?"
"In the winter sometimes. Do you not like the cold?"
Loki laughed bitterly.
"Not partially." Jotunheim was a frozen wasteland nothing like what he saw in front of him and nothing he cared for.
Nina turned to look at him hearing his tone setting the waffles on the table.
He was scrunched down into the couch slightly sideways holding his side staring at the ceiling.
"Well then you picked a bad time to stop by. It is really lovely in the snow. "
He huffed
"I will plan better next time." He sniffed with a small smile.
Nina went to the couch and leaned down to help him up.
"Let's eat you'll feel better."
Loki allowed her help as she led him to the table. He eased into a chair and surveyed the food in front of him.
"What is this called?" He looked at the plate of waffles with suspicion.
Nina smiled at his look as she sat in front of him with curiosity.
"Waffles is like a pastry but tastes sweeter. You put syrup on it. This stuff." She held up the container of dark brown syrup pouring it over her waffles.
"Hmm." He took the container and did the same picking  up his fork and cuting into a piece stabbing it and popping it in his mouth. "Interesting." He chewed. "Very sweet."
"Yes but delicious." She ate her own watching him intently not realizing it till he looked at her.
"Why are you staring at me?"
"Oh, I didn't realize I was." She looked down at her food before looking up catching his own gaze.
"You were and are." He frowned.
"I am amazed how well your doing." He was almost fully healed.
"God." We waved a hand with his fork in it then went back to eating.
"Yes I know. Are you going to tell me how you ended up with so many injuries?
"No." He ignored her frown.
"What do we do now does Thor know where you are?"
Loki growled.
"I'll take that as a no."
"Loki, you are healing, not completely but your doing well. But your magic is gone."
"Yes, I am aware of my present affliction." He dropped his fork with a clatter on his plate sitting back to stare at her.
"I want to help." She need to help him.
"There is nothing you can do presently to fix this." He motioned to himself feeling like a shell without his powers. "I am sorry to have burdened you with my presence. But it does not seem either of us have a choice. You have no vehicle in which to escape and I have no power to."
Nina didn't mention the phone what was the point.
"You are not a burden. I'm just trying to see where we can go from here. And why you don't want to return to Asgard."
"Asgard wil not fix my present issues."
"Has this ever happened before losing your magic?"
"No." It had not.
"Ok so you have no idea if it will even come back?"
"It will." He said hoping he was right. He felt like it was blocked he couldn't understand it.
Nina sighed heavily.
"Well, we are stocked here for awhile so I guess we wait it out. "
"Or call S.H.I.E.L.D." It was a statement not a question.
"Not unless you follow through with your threats."
"I will try not to." He looked her over.
"Remember I'm the only one with powers." She grinned and began to clear the table.
He watched her with a scowl knowing she was right.
"I am at your mercy my lady. For now at least."