PART THIRTY-FIVE

•••

"Let's see what knowledge is lurking inside that little mind."

Fwega set Grogu down on the stone opposite Ahsoka, patting his head and smiling before walking over to Mando. He set an arm around her waist and she could feel his wide smile as he looked at her.

Fwega had awoken in his arms, held tightly against his body. She gently rubbed the area in between his shoulder and his helmet, waking him up so she could rise. Ahsoka woke up a few minutes after and suggested she test the child, the two of them agreeing.

Ahsoka held a small stone in her hand and willed it to Grogu, who caught it and looked at it curiously.

"Now, return the stone to me, Grogu."

The child looked up at her, tilting his head much like Mando.

"He doesn't understand," Mando said, walking forward. He was halted by Ahsoka putting her hand up.

"He does. It's okay, the stone, Grogu." She held out a palm, expectant.

The stone clattered to the ground.

Ahsoka sighed, walking towards him. "I sense much fear in you."

Grogu babbled in response.

"He’s hidden his abilities to survive over the years. Let’s try something else. Come over here." She crooked her finger to both of them, pushing them until they were in the spot she was.

"He's stubborn."

"No, not him, you. I want to see if he'll listen to you both."

"That would be a first."

Fwega laughed and patted his forearm, her other hand sliding into his gloved one.

"I like firsts. Good or bad, they’re always memorable." She smiled as if remembering a distant memory, but then handed the stone to Mando. "Now, hold the stone out in the palm of your hand and tell him to lift it up."

Mando sighed. "All right, kid. Lift the stone."

"Grogu?" Fwega called, the child's head jerking to look at her. "Hey, Grogu. Do you want the stone?" She pushed Mando's hand out, her hand on his wrist. "You can take it. Go on."

The child just looked at them.

"See? I told you, he's stubborn."

"Try to connect with him," Ahsoka appeased, taking another step back as she observed.

Fwega turned around to face him, sliding her hand in between the bottom of his chestplate and his shirt, searching. He grabbed her arm, but let go as he realized what she was doing.

Fwega took the stone out of Mando's outstretched hand and replaced it with the ball, looking back at Grogu and noticing a change in his level of interest.

"Grogu..." Mando watched the child's head once again jerk to him in response. "You want it? Go ahead, take it."

The ball moved ever so slightly and Fwega smiled, nodding enthusiasticly at Grogu to encourage him to continue. "You got it, Grogu."

The ball flew to the child's hands, him catching it and cooing.

"Yes!" Fwega bounded up to him, lifting him into her arms. "You did it!"

"Good job, kid. You see that? That's right!" Mando had walked over beside her, patting the child on the head. "I knew you could do it, good job." The child glowed with the praise, his joy matching Fwega and Mando's.