33

Draco's POV

"Are you sure dear" Madam Pomfrey asked looking at y/n laying on the cot.. completely still.

"I'm telling you I felt it. Her hand squeezed mine." I argued. Madam Pomfrey had pulled me aside after telling her what happened. Probably so the others don't think I'm crazy.

I'm not crazy.

"But how could she possibly?"

"That's why I called you over. I don't know!" I was getting worked up. I needed to calm down but I couldn't. My hope was guiding me in this moment.

She wasn't gone yet.

"Take her home Mr. Malfoy. It's been a long day for everyone. Bring her to St. Mungos if there is any other sign of movement. And keep talking to her... That might be helping" I nodded at her as she walked away. It was only Blaise, Daphne and I now, and Katie Bell was lingering in the back which I was still confused as to why she was around. I couldn't lie, seeing her brought back my anxiety and guilt from 6th year.

"I'm going to take her to the Manor then" I said quietly. "Feel free to visit any time" I said to both of them. They nodded.

There wasn't much else to say in this moment.

"Let us know if there's anything we can do" Daphne said softly.

"Yeah I will" they gave me looks of regret and pity as they walked away from me. For the first time I looked around the great hall, saw people still mourning loved ones. And others being nursed back to health.

It stung watching some of them.. being able to get better. Knowing there's a possibility y/n will never get better.

I held out hope.

We were finally free, we could have started living an actual normal life.. had this not happened. I have to have hope that we could get our life back.

I lifted her off of the cot and carried her away. I was hesitant to apparate home but I doubted it would change her condition at all. I made sure to check her as soon as we got back.

Still breathing.

But still not moving.

I brought her into the house to find her mum waiting for us. Mr. Avery barged in and brought her home after I felt her grip my hand. The man was never around, but deemed it appropriate to act like a complete asshole any time he was.

Much like mine.

"Any more movement?" She asked. I shook my head.

"I'm going to take her to bed" she nodded and I felt her watch me as I walked upstairs to our room.

I put her down and just watched her. She looked to be sleeping peacefully... but who knows. I sat down next to her on the edge of the bed, moving a piece of hair from her face.

"Daphne was telling me what happened..." I took her hand and ran my finger across her knuckles. "How you were anxious to fight but she insisted on making you hide. For me." I let out a low chuckle. "Told me that you would have fended Astoria off, if she didn't distract you by saying something. She didn't tell me what though..." I couldn't help but feel a bit crazy. Sitting and talking to a practically lifeless body. "This is ridiculous" my head fell into my hands as I tried to regulate my breathing. I could feel myself getting worked up again.

There was a light knock at my door before my mum opened.

"How is she?" She didn't come in. She just stood there.

"Asleep..." I said in a low, angry tone. She let out a sigh.

"Your father would like a word..." I looked at her confused, but I could see pain in her eyes. "He's in his office"

Were we going to be sent to Azkaban?

Shit.

The thought hadn't even crossed my mind until those words left her mouth. I squeezed
y/n's hand before getting up to leave. I went upstairs to my fathers office and the door was already cracked.

"How's the girl?" He asked as I walked in.

"Not moving. She was earlier. I think there's a chance-" he put his hand up to stop me from talking.

"This war has changed a lot. But you know how much I plan to keep the Malfoy bloodline pure." He raised an eyebrow at me.

"Yes father... will we be going on trial?" I asked hesitantly.

"I've handled it" was all he said. "Now listen Draco. Do not interrupt or change the subject... It's a pity this happened to her but we have to move forward. We have a wedding in August, and there will be a bride" I looked at him, I knew what was next.

Astoria succeeded.

"I've already been in touch with the Greengrass family and Astoria is more than happy to marry you, seeing if Ms. Avery doesn't wake up in time"

"Can't we wait? Just push the wedding back? She-"

"Is in an eternal sleep Draco" he finished my sentence. "I will not wait forever" he said as if he was the one getting married. I wanted to fight with him, but I held out hope that this wouldn't happen. That she'd wake up.

Later. I'll fight later.

"Yes father." Was all I said before turning away and leaving. I stormed back to my room and slammed the door. Half expecting y/n to jump from the noise. But she didn't. She couldn't.

"Sorry love" I walked back over to her with a hand over my mouth. Looking at her.

That's all I seemed to be doing lately.

Looking at her. 

I laid in bed next to her.

"My father just told me... told me Astoria will take your place if you don't wake up." I turned to my side and watched her. I thought I saw her eyebrows flinch. "Y/n?" I sat up. There was nothing. I tried grabbing her hand again.
"Y/n? Can you hear me?"

Nothing.

I sighed. Did that happen? Or am I just wishing so badly for her to move that I'm seeing things?
Keep talking. It's helping, anything say anything.

"So I was thinking about the French countryside. We're supposed to live in the manor.. inherit it from my parents but we should get a summer home there. I know you were talking about it when I suggested we run away...." I let out a laugh. "That would have been something huh? Think of where we'd be right now if we had run.." I looked at her lifeless body. Her chest rising and falling slowly. The only movements she had. "I feel like we were just starting to have a relationship.. a real one you know. Not this arranged shit. But I suppose it's always been easy with you. It never felt that forced to me. Hell I brought up kids weeks into knowing each other.." I held on to her limp hand, twirling the ring I'd given her. "I guess I needed someone like you. Who hadn't known my past.. didn't judge me for it either.. just made your own judgment on me. Saw past all the shit I'd done.. and put you through-"

"Draco. Come downstairs" I heard my mothers voice shouting up at me. I let out a sigh and gave y/n's hand a gentle kiss.

"I'll be back." I whispered giving her hand a squeeze before I left.