Chapter 18 : Time loop

Sometimes, we survive by forgetting

Ishaan said, "I managed?? she's all over me. So desperate not my type"

What...

There are certain moments in your life where you have this strange realization of having gone through a situation before. Like that very exact circumstances, you've been through. This had happened, this exact thing had happened before and its next part you knew but somehow you can't reckon it. It's there in your mind you could feel it right in front of you but somehow you couldn't touch it. Similar to being stuck in a time loop.
It felt like I was in a time loop and this thing had happened before and I was aware of the way I could break this time loop. But I couldn't reach it. I just listened to what happened, when I know deep down what the ending could be.

"Do you think she will ever get her memories back ?" A short guy asked shaking the Pepsi can. But his lips moved differently as if I misheard him. I rubbed my eyes confusedly.

The line was getting blurry and blurry until I couldn't seem to focus but to choose one side of it.

"I hope so I am done pretending already," Ishaan said groaning. "She thinks I want her man it sucks I just dated her because she's pretty and you know, looking to have fun around but she's too prudent and stubborn for that"

The big jawed one; Ayush his name I guess again guffawed "Dude..use her to get back at Laksh. How he acts all perfect around your dad. Say to her to spy on him and then dish the dirt on his perfect image"

"Yep man you have her right under your thumb, make some use of it"

Why

Ishaan

Why

I gasped jerking up. My hand flung on my mouth what was this... I have an oxygen mask?
My eyes flinched at the sudden incoming blue lights. I breathe in relief on removing the mask confused about its purpose. My nostril filled with antiseptic smell. It's mere smell caused a sharp throbbing in my head.

"calm down child you're alright" A person in a white coat definitely a doctor came forward.

"Am I?" I asked my eyes hesitantly searched around the blue room for something that could explain what was going on. There were some people. A familiar-looking girl with big glasses, then there was Ryan? When happened to his face..?

"Here"

I drew my eyes away my jaw hung open Ryan's face.

I was shocked.

A nurse offered me a glass of water. I accepted it with numbed fingers was I dreaming??

"What is your name?" The doctor asked in a low voice speculating me cautiously from there.

I frowned at him, "Avi Shukla" I said like duh, taking a sip.

The water ran down my throat which was oddly too dry.

"How old are you Avi?" The doctor continued asking obvious questions.

"16," I said looking back at Ryan he was there with his stepmom; Aunt Rashmi

The girl with the spectacles gaped at me.

What?

"What day it is today?" The Doctor said.

My eyebrows furrowed as I thought. It was Friday Ishaan said to meet me at the lockers and where I .. heard him talking and what he actually thought of me.

My eyes stung remembering that and here I thought he loved me. I loved him and he...I blinked rapidly, answered, "Friday..."

"Date?" Doctor asked hopefully.

I frowned clutching the glass, I noticed I had scars on my arms like several red cuts. I stared at them, stunned. How did I get those?..

"Date, Avi?" The girl with spectacles said from across the room. She held the mobile to her chest anticipating my reply.

What actually was happening??

Why was I in the hospital?

Why Ryan had a strip of the scar on his left cheek? Did he draw it? Knowing that boy he can do anything for pranks.

Wait a second so a prank was going on?

And Rashmi Aunty was also a part of it? She was no the strict type but I was surprised if she agreed with hospital pranks.

"Date?" The doctor urged me again for a response.

Well, how can I forget today when my boyfriend made a joke about me in front of his friends. Calling, how boring and useless I was for him.

"7th December 2018," I told nervously as I registered the reactions of the people present there.

Please don't tell me I was in a coma and I woke up after 5 or 10 years later.

Because if that was then sadly, I didn't change much physically.

The girl with spectacles got up rigidly and just stormed out of the room.

Okay??

Who was she anyway? She looked familiar but I was sure I didn't know her personally.

Ryan had reached to me. He appeared tall. He was taller than me regardless, me being two years older than him. He grew every day by an inch, that's what he told me when we were kids.

Liar always fooling my innocent self.

His soft beautiful features were altered by a hard-line running down his cheek. It was like drawing with a sketch pen carelessly. But look more real and scary.

"Ryan, what happened? "

He smiled sitting near me." you got your memories back" he said grazing my cheek with his finger as if making sure I was real or I would skim away from him. This made me more confused. He was like my little brother that I never had. I flicked his hand off, narrowing my eyes.

He laughed relieved, "you're really back"

I shoved him playfully, getting back to the doctor not taking Ryan seriously.

"Apparently she got her memories back but she doesn't remember these six months when she had lost them" The Doctor explained continued the prank that I didn't find funny at all.

Ryan nodded when I watched the doctor skeptically he showed me his mobile having a different date  8th September 2019. I didn't believe as anyone would. I peeped over Ryan's shoulder, Rashmi Aunt appeared between relieved and alarmed as the doctor talked to her now.

For a prank, they were doing pretty serious acting.

When Ryan also seemed to nowhere to tell me it was a joke

I felt cold with fear,

maybe I did lose my memories

And

Considering the current situation, I have them back

But after six months

So what happened during this long time?

Why I feel so normal like I didn't lose anything...??

"Where are my parents?" I asked holding my heart with an unexplainable dread and still clinging to the last thread of this wasn't really happening.

Ryan gave me a sad smile

And Rashmi Aunt faced me with tearful eyes.

••