Long Way to Morning

Athena stood on the balcony of the Clock Tower, waiting for her family as the sun was setting. Soon, the Gargoyles' stone skin cracked, and they roared as they awoke from their slumber and stepped off the stone perches.

"What's for breakfast?" Brooklyn asked as the group walked inside.

"I was thinking plinces," Broadway excitedly said.

"You seem introspective, my old friend. Are you alright?" Goliath asked as Hudson stared at the scenery before him.

"Just dreaming old dreams," He said, somewhat solemnly, as he stared at Castle Wyvern.

"I know what you mean," Athena said to Hudson. She couldn't help but think back to a night from her childhood.

Scotland, 984 A.D.

It was a stormy night at Castle Wyvern. Inside the walls of the Castle, Prince Malcolm, Princess Katherine's father, was putting his daughter and Athena to bed since the two girls share a room.

"But, Father, we don't want to go to bed," Katherine protested, "We want to stay up for the feast. We'll miss the troubadours and the jugglers."

"Please, Prince Malcolm, please let us stay up," Athena begged, "If only for a while."

"Hush, now," Malcolm insisted, tucking the young girls into bed, "The Gargoyles will getcha if you don't behave."

At that moment, a strike of lightning lights the room. The flash of light revealed the Elder Gargoyle carrying his small sword. Katherine gasps in fright while Athena smiles at the gargoyle she sees as her grandfather. The gargoyle steps forward.

"It is only me, Princess," He assured," We must speak, Prince Malcolm."

"Of course," Malcolm told him.

Prince Malcolm left his daughter's bedside, walking out of her room with the gargoyle. Athena left her bed and quietly walked across the room before hiding behind the door, listening in on the conversation between the Elder Gargoyle and Prince Malcolm.

"You shouldn't frighten the girl with threats of Gargoyles, my Liege," The Elder one said, "We would never harm a child."

Malcolm gives the Elder one a smile, chuckling, and tells him, "Oh, you're too sensitive. But I take it this is not why you wanted to speak with me."

"Aye... I'm concerned about the Archmage," The Elder one admitted. "I'm not sure banishment was enough to end his threat."

"He attempted to use magic to usurp my throne," Malcolm angrily replied. "Let him dare to return and I'll-"

"You will die, pompous fool!" An old man's voice proclaimed from behind the pair.

Malcolm and the old Gargoyle both turned to see the Archmage standing on the stone steps of the castle. His long white beard nearly touched the ground, and his spell book, the Grimorum Arcanorum was clutched close to his chest.

"You thought you could banish me!" He snarled, the storm swirling around him, "I'm not so easily disposed of, Prince Malcolm!"

The Archmage then pointed his bony hand at the Gargoyle and shouted a spell, "Fulmenos... VENITE!"

Lightning shot from the Archmage's hand, striking the old Gargoyle straight in the chest. He flew back, hitting the castle wall hard. Malcolm walked forward, facing the Archmage boldly.

"What do you want?" Malcolm questioned.

"Why, revenge, of course," The Archmage replied cruelly.