Chapter 23 - Yesterday

Annika POV

My schedule became spread out, like my trips to the hospital and holding facility increased. From spending time with Rei to hanging out with Toya, it seems like we're making up for lost time.   

Even Shima came by, and their relationship has improved as well. A year has passed, and Toya has been granted more freedom than before. Due to his growth, he was granted an appointment near my own home. He's still under constant supervision with cameras scattered around the house, and hero's patrolling his area more often than before, but he finally has a place of his own. 

He's even talked to the authorities about his identity and the desire to see his mother and siblings. So I set the meeting, a nice meet up at Rei's room. All her kids are going to be there to meet the sender of the Rindou's.

She was excited to finally meet them, and Toya was nervous as ever, but I helped him through it and discussed everything that could happen and to is prepared. He understood, and as the month rolled by and the day finally came. I stopped by prior and introduced myself to her kids, to her youngest, who recently started to visit her, and her two eldest, who are living their life as adults. Her daughter recognized me from before but only gave me a pure smile. 

I offered to turn myself in, but she just chuckled at the thought. I'm currently walking with Toya. Wearing his black medical mask, he keeps his hands in his pockets as we walk side by side. In my hand, I had some Soba and a lot of bowls. I thought that maybe some food would be good to smooth things over, and if things go south, I bet Toya could eat it all with no problem. 

Walking into the facility, I greet the receptionist. Giving me the go-ahead, he follows me to the room. I notice his steps slow down. Stopping, I turn around and grab his hand, giving him a reassuring smile; he takes a breath and continues forward. 

Finally, in front of the door, I look up at him. "Stay here; I'll tell you when you can come in."

Taking off his mask, he nods his head slowly, knocking on the door; I hear a faint come in. Opening the door, I greet the Todoroki minus the burning trash can. "I brought Soba~."

They give me a warm smile as I place the dishes and cold containers on the table. "Oh, and your flower sender is here."

Rei grows excited, "Really, tell them to come in!"

I nod, "This might be a little shocking so take deep breaths, ok?"

She nods excitedly; walking to the door, I look up at him and nod. Moving to the side, he steps through the door. The room grows silent; everyone's eyes are on him. He grows nervous before he finally speaks up and breaks the silence.

"Hey, Mom."

 Tears begin to spill from her eyes, "T-Toya?"

Walking past his shocked sibling, two eldest begins to cry as the youngest watch in shock. He gets on his knees, taking his mother's hand gently, "Yeah, it's me."

She continues to cry as she grips his hand, not wanting to let her son go. Crying along with her, he rises and pulls her into a hug. "I'm sorry I didn't come sooner; I missed you so much."

She hugs him back, "It's ok; I'm just so glad you're here."

Letting him go after a while, she looks into his eyes, observing his features. He smiles at her as he holds her hand firmly, "She healed me. I-I wanted you to see me like this. I don't want you to be in pain."

Her eyes widen a bit, but she nods slowly; letting her go, he turns around to greet his siblings. Before he could say anything, the eldest rush over to him and pull him into a hug, they cry tears of joy, expressing how much they missed him and how glad they are that he is alive.

This leaves one person left; Todoroki looks up at his brother, staring at each other Toya rubs the back of his neck.

"I-I know you don't remember me bu-"

He wasn't able to finish before Shota gives him a small smile, giving him a hug of his own, "Welcome back."

I whip my own tear at the reunion; feeling someone's gaze, I turn to see Rei smiling at me with her tear-stained cheeks.

"Thank you."

I nod, "No problem at all. Now let's not set this soba to go to waste."

Agreeing, I serve the cold food to the family; watching them eat was almost mind-blowing, especially since they all ate the same. Catching up, he explains his situation in bite-sized pieces and how he decided to turn a new leaf. He gave me way too much praise, but they were grateful that I was there for him when he needed it the most. Knowing the flame villain, it shocked them to know that I healed his burns and scars with such ease.

The day continued on until the visiting hours were over. Sadly Toya wasn't allowed to go anywhere afterward, but he promised that he would to better see them more often. Overall the day was a success, and the Todoroki's were making back for lost time. 

I must say that yesterday seems so far away now that the world is looking so bright.