Chapter 3 - Train

Annika POV

It's been a couple of days since we went shopping, and Shimura has warmed up to me a lot. He still doesn't talk, but we find our own way to communicate. Hearing the doorbell ring, I check the peephole to see a man in uniform. Opening it, I greet him, signing the paper. Carrying the boxes in the living room, I shout out.

"Shimura, come here, please."

Hearing his footsteps, I turn to him, hands on my hips, I smile at him. "Do you want to be a hero?"

He fidgets a bit, nodding slowly before looking away. I bend down to his level, making him look at me. "Then let's start training."

Leading him to the couch, I push a box next to the table. Opening it, I pull out a cream-colored mug, "I got a butt-load of these for cheap, so we're going to use these. We already got lesson 1 down, the finger system. Pull a finger out when you grab things. Now let's get comfortable with your quirk and tame it a bit."

He nods slowly, putting a mug in front of him; he looks up at me. I nod, "It's ok; use it."

Doing so nervously, he watches as hit quickly decays. Growing nervous, I place my hand on his back, "It's ok, I promise. Your quirk is just a bit all over the place; once you learn to control it, you won't have to worry about hurting anyone."

Pulling out another mug, I place a coin in the mug. "Ok, do it again for me."

Doing so, we watch as the coin and mug decay; pulling out another mug, I show him the coin. "Do it again, but this time destroy the mug only."

Nodding slowly, he tries again but fails; luckily for him, I have a lot of American coins lying around, especially pennies. He looks down sadly, but I pat his head, "It's ok, training takes patience and time; you'll get it. Let's try a couple more time and then well end it for the day."

He tries it a couple of times but fails, encouraging him we try again the next day. Right when he was about to lose hope, I take his hand. "Don't falter; you got his. Let's take a different approach; just imagine there's nothing in the cup at all and try again."

Looking at the cup, he focuses before touching it again; the coin falls on the ash, making me smile and jump up. "You did it!"

Picking him up, I give him a warm hug, "Let's celebrate with some ice cream!"

Letting him go, he stands still, picking up the coin as I bring out the ice cream filled bowls. "Shimura?"

He looks up at me, seeing his small smile warms my heart. Sitting on the couch with him, we watch his favorite show while enjoying our his victory in comfortable silence.

Weeks go by with us going through a comfortable motion. I wake up from a long night of watching over Shimura while his nightmares haunt him. I can only assume that it's of his family, but nonetheless, I make sure I'm there when he wakes up and soothe him back to sleep. Make breakfast, relax, go out for a walk, go somewhere new, make lunch, train, dinner, and repeat. I try to shuffle it up sometimes, but for the most part, it's the same. He's definitely grown more comfortable; he's less nervous and more calm and curious than anything.

He's been more open on things he likes, for example, pancakes and heroes he admires by pointing or giving me knowing looks. I've also introduced him to vaseline; it helps with his dry skin, which has cleared up a lot since he first got here.

With him having better control of his quirk, I think it's time to tell the other heroes of his existence. I feel as though I could at least convince them to let him stay with me, especially since he feels more comfortable.

Waking up like I always do, I walk over to the kitchen; yawning and stretching, I start to make some omelets, something new for Shimura to try. Hearing his footsteps, I yawn once more, "Good Morning."

"Good Morning."

I know I got whiplash turning to look at the boy; he yawns cutely, looking up at me in his hero pajamas.

"What did you say?"

He answers hesitantly, "G-good morning?"

I start to cry a bit, rubbing my eyes quickly; I smile at him, "Food's just about done, would you like some juice?"

He nods, "Yes."

I feel a burst of joy fill my body; as I nod excitingly, watching him walk to the dining room, I do a little victory dance, not being able to contain my joy. Plating the food before it burns, I set it down, rushing back to pour our drinks, both in our favorite cups. Eating the dish, he practically inhales it, only to drink his juice slowly, savoring the sweet taste.

Finishing my own meal, I take his empty plate, "Shimura, you can relax in the living room; I'll be there in a minute, ok?"

He nods, "Ok."

Walking away, I wash the dishes. Picking up my phone, I dial a local friend.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Yosuke."

"Annika! How are you doing? What going on?"

"I'm good; I wanted to see if you were free tomorrow. You need to meet someone."

"Sure, I'm free, come by tomorrow at 10."

"Perfect, see you then."

Hanging up, I make my way to the couch, plopping next to the little ball of cuteness.