Chapter 13 - Haunt

Annika POV

Some more heroes come by and handle the situation, letting Shima take me home. I lean on him as I let everything sink in, letting the memories of the happy moments we shared. As soon as I got back to the house, I walked into the kitchen, taking out the wrapped up bowl of soba.

Placing it on the countertop, I feel the tears spill from my eyes once more. I grip my hands tightly, remembering the times Dabi and I shared, how I treated him like my own, like he was my son.

Flashback

"I've never seen anybody who likes cold soba as much as you."

He chuckles lightly, "I've never seen anyone who makes soba so well."

I smile, "I'm flattered you enjoy my cooking."

He eats the dish calmly, staring at his scars; I speak up, "Do they hurt?"

He stops eating, feeling the tension I dismiss it as he answers honestly, "Yes, but it's a reminder of my mission, so I don't mind it."

Understanding, my memories flash to that day, which resulted in a large scar to grace my back. Watching him finish the bowl, I walk over to him. Placing my hand on his cheek gently, I allow my hand to glow. Not wanting to use too much power, I try to relive the main.

Rubbing my thumb softly on his cheek, he stiffens before relaxing slowly. He always seems stiff, but this is one of the first times I've seen him so relaxed. I watch as my glow spreads across his body lightly; pulling my hand back, I watch as he breaks down. 

I waste no time in pulling him into a hug as I rub his back. I understand this level of pain, "I understand."

He cries harder as if a small weight was lifted off his shoulders. Falling asleep, I carry him to the couch before placing a blanket over him. Cleaning up a bit, I walk back to check up on him; seeing the empty couch, I find a note on the table.

"Thank you."

Smiling a bit, I chuckle, "You're welcome."

Flashback Over

Falling to the ground, I grip the countertop; feeling Shima's arms around me, he keeps me close. "It's ok; It's ok, everything's going to be ok."

My breaths become uneven as the pain in my chest grows, "Listen to my voice, breath in and out, in and out."

Following his directions, I start to calm down, but the tears never seem to stop falling. Feeling someone pick me up, I look up to see Aoki giving me a worried look.

"A-Aoki?"

"Shh, rest."

Leaning on his chest, I try to whip away the tears falling from my eyes, but they don't stop as I lean on his chest. As soon as my head hits the pillow, the world around me grows dark as my tears soak the pillow beneath me. 

Shimura POV

I look down at the bowl, frowning at it as I throw the remains away and place the bowl in the sink. 

"I saw what happened on the news. Are you sure it's him?"

I look up at Yosuke and nod, "The same burnt face and all."

I run my hand through my hair, "There have been cases of blue flames spread across the city, but I haven't been able to catch the culprit. That's the first time I've seen his quirk, but it all makes sense. A new group has been rising, and I think he might be aligned with it."