Chapter 16 - Him

Annika POV

Feeling a warm hand wipe away my tears, I keep my head down. "Please don't cry; I hate it when you cry."

"I'm so sorry that happened to you; I'm so sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry about; you were the light that I abandoned for my mission. I regret it but had to be done."

"No, it didn't! You could have stayed; you could have let it go! You could have let me take your burden!"

More tears fall as he pulls back, "What?"

"I would have taken your burden; I would have taken your pain!"

I look up at him to see him take steps back as his hand touches his head. He seems stunned, confused, conflicted. 

"Let me go. Let me heal your wounds, let's start a new path."

He shakes his head, gripping his hair as whispering to himself.

"Please, Toya!"

The warehouse, doors burst open; the red and blue lights shine as I hear the voices of Aoki and Shima.

Feeling the rope comes undone, I get carried away by Aoki as Shima stands in front of Dabi.

"You."

He looks at him and smirks, "We meet again, Shimura."

Then an all-out fight broke out, I whisper softly, "Stop. Stop them."

They keep fighting, watching, the warehouse starts to fall, we rush out as their fight continues to rage on. 

"Stop! Stop! Fighting!"

I try to rush to them, but Aoki holds me back, "Annika! No, stop it!"

I look at him with tears in my eyes, "Please."

Seeing the pain in my eyes he nods, before picking me up and rushing into the battlefield with Keigo following. Aoki uses his quirk, sitting in the middle he holds out his hand out. Suckign the energy between the three, I watch as they drop to their knees, as their quirks come to a halt. 

"Stop fighting. It's over."

Tears continue to fall as I look at the two; the police officers come rushing in as they detain Toya. Keeping his head down, I get up walking over to him. "I'll see you soon."

Keeping his head down, he nods lowly before getting pushed away. I then walk over to Shima, bending down I start to heal his wounds, "Thank you for saving me."

"Annika, are you ok? Did he hurt you?"

I shake my head, "He didn't hurt me, I'm ok."

"Who's Toya?"

I stiffen before giving him a sad smile, "A friend."

Later on, his face was plastered on the news, and he was arrested. He is currently in question, but so far, he hasn't uttered a word. I'm not allowed to visit him, but I've been persistent on the matter.

It's been about a week and a half since then, and his sentence is begins determined. After talking with the higher up, they agreed that I can visit him as long as I extract any information on his boss and who they are.

With Shima and Aoki by my side, I remain static as we walk through the investigation facility. Walking into the all-white room, I finally speak up, "Refrain from engaging in battle."

They nod as I walk in and sit on the chair in front of him. I remain silent, "How are you?"

He remains silent for a while before he finally answers, "Fine."

I smile a bit, "That's good; I guess it could have been worst."

He chuckles emptily, "Yeah."

"You know the only reason I'm allowed to be here is to get information, right?"

He looks up at me, "I figured, but knowing you, you were relentless."

I smile, "You got that right."

He smiles a bit, "Well, I don't know that much since bringing you in was an initiation of sorts. All I do know is that the big boss runs this group, and he was to reshape the hero world for good. There forming a group, and there recruiting; apparently, you ruined their plan from the start. That's all I know."

I soak in every word, nodding, "Thank you for telling me."

We stare at each other before I speak up, "Would you like me to heal you?"

He shakes his head gently, "I'm...I'm not ready yet."

I nod, "I understand."

Walking up to him, I place my hand on his cheek, allowing my quirk to light graze his skin, much like before I watch as his body glows and his shoulders relax a bit. 

"Then let me at least ease your pain."

Pulling my hand back, he looks up and me and whispers, "Rindou, that's her favorite."

Understanding I nod, before leaving him behind. Leaving with the boys, I head back; I speak to them softly, "I have to see him, the root of it all."