The Rustic Night

It has been an entire three weeks of extreme exhaustion for Rory. She's been working hard since they arrived in New York, barely had time to relax and enjoy the heavenly surroundings, it sure feels like heavenly compare to the place they had been living for the past year, and she knew she's looking at her life with a whole new perspective now. A lot more grateful. Of course. But still, between settling in a new city (old but new) and re-adjusting with the culture and lifestyles, Rory couldn't help but feeling overwhelmed. Which is only fair, because on top of arranging everything, she also has a kid to look after, Yaya is having a hard time connecting with her sitters. She's had three so far. Rory understands that Yaya is just reacting to a major life changing moment in the only way she know, but it didn't make it easier to face.

On top of everything, Logan is also barely there. He's been dragged by his father all over the city to assume his new role in the company, attending luncheons and office parties in addition to his day job. Rory had been postponing her join in the company until after they're settled, and at this rate, she thinks she won't be able to join until Christmas. They still need to find a house, a sitter (that will last more than a week), a school, and finalize Yaya's papers -she swears there's nothing more complicated than trying to adopt a foreign kid in this country-. And of course the wedding. Oh well, engagement party will obviously comes first, but that had to wait until Logan actually proposes. Which, she notes, doesn't look like going to happen any time soon. All of these unfinished businesses frustrate her. She's starting to be more easily irritated and harder to please. She misses Logan. She needs a break, so she decided to call the master of breaks, who answered her call immediately.

"I need a break!" Rory exploded.

"Very well. Should it specifically be a bone, or are you thinking of something else? I don't suggest breaking a heart though, because according to Hans Christian Andersen, and I quote, "Don't break someone's heart, they only have one, break their bones, they have 206 of them..."" that's the famous Lorelai Gilmore, ladies and gentlemen, who has been a great help, when she's around, which isn't as often as Rory would've expected, because she has an inn to run.

"He didn't say that,"

"He did too. He even wrote an unpublished book about it that only a certain people knew about. Certain people including yours truly... signaling the importance of my existence..."

"You just made that up,"

"I did. But as my one and only daughter you should've always back my story up, who knows I might need a verification for my story of adventure in the wild wild west?"

"Firstly, the wild wild west adventures are a widely known fiction. And secondly, they were released even before you were born,"

"Ha! You just broke my heart! Satisfied now?" Lorelai sighed dramatically.

"A little. But still need a break though. I was thinking this weekend if you're free? I could come down to Stars Hollow and we can do something together..."

"This weekend? This weekend?"

"Yeah, what's the matter? You sound weird. You already have a plan for this weekend? Cancel them! I need you more, I'm going crazy! And as your one and only child, it's my right to have you anytime I need you. And I can tell you, I don't need you that often,"

"Ouch! I vaguely remember that one time somebody called you scab nose,"

"Yeah, you're just making me worse..."

"Okay okay, I'll re-arrange everything and get back to you in... an hour?"

This is strange. Is one year long enough to make her mother unusually unavailable to her? She usually always available. Even when they were oceans apart, which is a big deal, time zone wise. And now she has to wait for an hour for confirmation. Crap.