The Domestic-ation

Rory took her last picture of Mangateen Shelter in Juba, South Sudan, one of many urgently built compound to shelter war refugees, or who they called here IDP (internally displaced people).

She had arrived in Juba almost a year ago, and has been covering stories by stories of how conflicts affect the people's lives in the most unpleasant way. But the conflict has been rising up since she first arrived, and December last month President Kiir accused his deputy and ten other leaders of coup d'etat, led to those leaders fled to the Sudan People Liberation Movement in opposition, and the civil war started. It has been heated since then.

So far she had cover three shelters in her mission to depict the story of the overcrowded temporary residents that looks like will become more permanent if the war keep going. Before this story, she had done a remarkable story of young children education - or the lack of it,- and an astonishing story of gender roles in the area, in which due to the men mostly at war, the rest of the responsibilities fall under the women's shoulders. This includes to provide for the family on top of taking care of the house and the kids, child bearing, farming, etc. She had millions of brilliant reviews from all over the world for those two pieces. Her former lecturers all had sent her a note stating how proud they are on her writings. She really did an excellent job peeling the story and served it in a silver platter, or silver pages, to be exact, although the pages weren't literally silver. But anyway, no matter how she thinks this is necessary and important, she had been longing to go home, home as in the States, or to be more specific, New York. To her cozy apartment, in a nice bed, complaining about the traffic noise and neighbors' music instead of having to wake up to helicopters and jets, and oh, bombs.

She parked her jeep in the driveway, and make her way to the front door when she heard a laughing noise outback, sounds like a guy's and a girl's voice. She went through the side door instead, the one that led straight to the backyard.

"I think you should give me a kiss," the guy said. That's definitely Logan's.

The girl chuckled.

"Not like that, you silly. Like you mean it," he said again.

"Okay, but don't forget your promise..." she replied.

Rory shook her head while listening to this short conversation that she's about to intervene. Logan is unbelievable, he would do anything for a kiss.

"What is going on here?" She busted them. Trying her best to sound authoritative. They both jumped.

"He started it," the girl pointed at Logan who raised his hands surrendering.

"I though we had a deal. Why is it you always throw me under the bus?" He said accusingly.

The girl hurried towards Rory and hugged her leg, "I want ice cream, mommy..."

"You had ice cream yesterday, we made a deal one ice cream in three days. Ice cream bad for your teeth," she said assertively, trying so hard to keep her decision firm while looking at those gorgeous blue eyes who is begging her silently. "And you, daddy!" She turned to Logan. "You should have known better. The team is you and I, not you and her," she whispered.

Logan pulled her waist and stroked her cheek. "I'm sorry. I just really wanted that kiss,"

"I can give you as many kisses as you want," and she did. "But you gotta stop let that kid influence you to break the rule,"

"What can I say, I'm a sucker for blue eyed girls," he said while looking at their daughter.

Rory turned her gaze at her too, Nadia Cham, who calls herself Yaya, their three years old daughter who apparently already know how to play with Daddy's weakness. Yesterday Rory caught Logan let her play with his xbox just so she can call him 'Daddy' again.