Chapter 2

Camila's POV

It was a rather quiet and long car ride to Camp Friendship and I had no idea what to expect. Would it be like school? Will the kids laugh at me? Regardless if I went to this camp or not, I had nothing planned for the summer. I just wanted to watch Netflix, read and occasionally scroll through tumblr.

I had taken a plane from North Carolina to Georgia because it was cheaper than taking it to Florida. We rented a car and drove the rest of the way. My Mom stayed with a friend in Orlando while I was at camp while my Dad watched my little sister, Sofi, and took her to day camp.

My Mom and I were really close and we both knew it was going to be hard to say goodbye to each other for most of the summer.

The truth is, she was worried about me. She couldn't watch me spend a whole summer alone again, or spend the upcoming school year with only one friend.

I played Ed Sheeran's album quiet enough so that I was able to hear my mother and tried to get some rest.

I felt my mother's hand rub my arm and instantly woke up.

"I'm sorry. I'm just so tired," I said, trying to hold back my yawn.

"It's ok, Mija. I just want to tell you that this could be a new beginning, you know? You could make friends and come back again next summer. Please take advantage of this opportunity. You're dad saved a lot of money for you to be able to do this and I don't want you to be upset with our decision. I love you so much and can't wait to hear all about it," she whispered with tears in her eyes.

I was about to start bawling my eyes out at the sight of my mother about to cry and the thought of not seeing her for such a long time.

"Thank you and I love you too. I will try to make friends and socialize although it won't be easy. I'm going to miss you so much," I admitted, about to start crying.

"I will miss you more and so will your father and Sofi. We just know that there's a chance that this may help prepare you for college and make you happy and we're willing to take it no matter what the cost. We just want you to be happy," my mom replied honestly.

I nodded my head and started to think about what was coming. I was scared out of my mind to go to a camp with people I had never seen before and did not want to go the slightest bit. I held back the complaints, knowing they wouldn't get me anywhere, and pretended to be a little hopeful for the sake of my mother.

After a few hours of sleeping, I woke up in the parking lot of the camp. My heart began to race at the sight of children running around chasing their friends and counselors watching them intently.

"We're here?" I asked, unfortunately already knowing the answer.

My mom nodded her head and stepped out of the car as I did the same.

We signed in at the welcome table and they informed me that I was a bit late and everyone was already settled in their cabins. Great.

"Don't worry. We will have Ann, our head counselor, take you up to your cabin and introduce you to the girls. You're going to be in Cabin 12 with girls 16-18!" the woman yelled excitedly.

My mom and I both nodded our head once again as Ann approached us.

"Hello there! You must be Camila Cabello! You're the last one to check in for your age group, but the girls will be thrilled to have another member join them. Now I'm afraid this is a no parent zone as of now...I'm sorry. Please say goodbye to your mother," my heart sank at the sound of her last words.

"I love you so much. I'll write you if I can and please tell everyone I say hi and that I already miss them when you call them tonight. This isn't going to be easy, but I'm going to try my best for you all," I whispered in my mom's ear so that Ann couldn't hear.

"I love you too and please remember what I told you in the car. I'll miss you so much mija," she responded as we hug for awhile.

My mom waved goodbye and I could see that she was about to break down as she continued walking to her rental car.

"Let's go señorita!" Ann screamed, leading me to a dirt path that I expect will bring me to Cabin 12.

We arrive at a crummy looking cabin that's kind of secluded from the others and I instantly get freaked out realizing that I would be living in there.

"Is it to late to call my mom to come back?" I whispered to myself.

"I'm sorry did you say something?" Ann asked confused.

I shook my head and followed her up the steps leading up to the cabin until we reached the door.

"Let me introduce you!" she screamed, turning the doorknob.