Chapter 18

Flashback

Mr Gold walked into a mausoleum and he walked to an altar, he waved his dagger conjuring a portrait of Calista.

"Can you hear me, Calista? It's me. I know it's only been a short time since I began my journey without you but it feels like an eternity. I received a letter from Gideon. He's doing well in his studies. Our daughter got married, I saw you watching over her. Our children miss you, Calista terribly," His eyes watered, "And so do I," Mr Gold said.

Dr Facilier stepped out of the shadow, "That's good. Quite good. Let it all out. After all, there's no great pain than being separated from true love... Especially for an immortal like you, Dark One," Dr Facilier said.

"I don't know who you are or why you're here, but I suggest you go," Mr Gold said.

The name's Facilier and I came to help. You see, anyone can come here to talk to the dead. It's hearing them that's the trick. You came to ask Caista if the girl you met, named Alice, is truly the Guardian. If you're really so interested in surrendering your power, perhaps I should take it from you instead," Facilier said and he jabbed a voodoo doll of Mr Gold with a pin but nothing happened.

"You honestly think a pincushion is gonna work on me? Very well. Now, I get the chance to do this," Mr Gold placed him under a magical chokehold and lifted him in the air, "If you truly can hear my wife, then tell me, what did she say?" Mr Gold said.

"The Guardian has to be pure of heart. But the only way to know it to test Alice. Calista says you have to hurry," Facilier said.

"Why?!" Mr Gold asked.

"Facilier groaned, "Because she sees there's darkness in you, and she's afraid that without her, you'll succumb to it first," Facilier said.

Mr Gold saw golden scales appearing on his hand and he released Facilier and turned to Calista's photo, "Don't worry, Calista. I'll find the Guardian in time. I promise," Mr Gold said.

"Oh, you better hope you do because if you don't, I'll be there to pluck your precious dagger from you," Mr Gold waved his hands and opened the doors to the mausoleum as he walked out, "Good luck, Dark One," Facilier said.

End of Flashback

In the station, Daniel, Rogers and Mr Gold stepped out of the elevator, "So, what do we do when we talk to this head case? Do we call him Nick or is it Hansel?" Rogers asked.

"Ah, it doesn't matter. All he's gonna be responding to soon is a number on the dark of an orange jumpsuit," Mr Gold said.

Daniel, Rogers and Mr Gold walked into the interrogation room and found Nick dead, "Should we get help?" Rogers asked.

"I don't think we have to bother," Mr Gold said.

"What the hell happened? You think some kind of medical condition?" Daniel asked.

Mr Gold found straw from a doll on the floor and he realised who else was there, "No. There was someone here with him," Mr Gold said.

"How? The door was locked and we're the only ones with a key card," Daniel said.

"Lockdown the building. Now!" Mr Gold said as he ran out of the room.

"Where the hell are you going?" Rogers called out.