Chapter 13

Chapter 13
The Pauper

Chapter 13The Pauper

University of St. Ambrose

Kaagad niligpit ni Natali ang mga gamit niya nang i-dinismiss na sila ng professor nila. After getting all her things, she immediately went outside their classroom alone. Wala rin kasi siyang kaibigan sa university. Most of her companions and friends are the palace maids but most of them were old or in their mid-forties to fifties. Siya lang kasi ang pinakabata at ang nag-aaral pa.

Actually, University of St. Ambrose is a very prestigious university in the country and also a very expensive one. If not for the royal family who have given her scholarship, hindi siya makakaaral doon.

She just took a deep breath as she strolled around the campus. Three hours pa ang vacant niya para sa susunod na subject. During that semester, nag-underload lang siya ng mga units na kukunin dahil may trabaho pa rin naman siya sa palasyo.

She decided to go to the soccer field of the university and sat on one of the benches there to breathe. Sometimes, she wished she was born with a golden spoon. Everyone knows being born rich has more privileges than those who are beneath them. You can study anything you want, buy the most expensive stuff and even the opportunity to travel the world. Not only that, it would be easier for you if you're rich in getting any relationship. If your boyfriend is rich and if you are rich too, chances are his family is going to like you as well.

She sighed. She could still remember every time she's on break, Madrid Anselmo would accompany her and sometimes would not even attend his classes so they could sneak out together then make out. They were lovers or so she thought.

She would always remember how Madrid would assure her that he doesn't care if she's only a palace maid. That he would like to live a normal life with her in the future, grow old together... away from the spotlight of the royal family. How they planned to live in Austria after  they'll graduate college.

Now... he just dropped her like everything that they had meant nothing.

If only she was born rich or just even born from an aristocratic family, maybe Madrid would want her instead of that Lady Sofia of Snowdon...

But of course, that's impossible. He will choose Lady Sofia Elena over her... Prim and proper, innocent, young and beautiful... and rich. Unlike her who's just a palace maid depending on the scholarship she was given.

Last night, she even saw Sofia Elena in flesh, much nearer to her sight, enough for her to realize that she's beneath her. Royalty and elegance was radiating on the young lady. Lady Sofia Elena was always suited to be a royal bride for Madrid Anselmo

Napatigil naman siya sa pag-iisip nang tumunog ang phone niya. It was Pancho, messaging her to meet her at the abandoned classroom near the parking lot of the university. Napailing na lang siya. Simula 'nung tinapos na ni Madrid ang sa kanilang dalawa, Phaedron became more demanding of her time... and body.

Pinili niyang hindi ito replyan. Pero pagkatapos ng ilang minuto ay bigla namang tumunog ang phone niya at nakita itong tumatawag. Napabuntong-hininga ulit siya at sinagot na lang iyon.

"Where are you?" He quickly started, obviously pissed off on the other line.

"Soccer field," She answered calmly.

"I don't care what you are doing there but you need to come here in the classroom. I want you right now, Natalie."

Natahimik naman siya dahil sa sinabi nito.

What she and Phaedron has is purely sexual relationship. He induced her to have a sexual relationship with him through blackmailing. 'Nung nakita kasi siya nito noong isang madaling araw na lumabas mula sa kwarto ni Madrid, the next day, he went to her at the university and forced her to tell him the truth about her relationship with his half-brother. He blackmailed her that if she won't agree to his terms, he would tell his father, the late King Julian about her and Madrid that would possibly result in stripping her from her scholarship and firing her for working as a palace maid. Ayaw din naman niyang masira rin ang reputasyon ni Madrid dahil lang sa kanya. She doesn't want to get Madrid in trouble with King Julian too.

Pancho left her no other choice.

It was also just then she realized that the noble, kind and responsible Prince Phaedron was all a lie.

"Ayoko na, Pancho," She finally said it, defeated, "Just do whatever you want. Tell them that I had a relationship with Madrid, your blackmail won't work anymore. I don't care."

"What?"

"Ipagkalat mo kung anong meron sa 'min ni Madrid, wala na akong pakialam. I'm already damaged, it won't do any damages to me or even to him."

Narinig naman niya ang pagbuntong-hininga nito.

"I'll just bring the food that my little sister cooked, just stay there," He muttered before ending the call.

After a few minutes, Phaedron Lukas arrived at the soccer field. Napansin naman niya ang dala-dala nitong dalawang lunchbox.

"Hey," He greeted the moment he was in front of her. Kaagad itong umupo sa tabi niya, "I'm hungry. Amarah made this lunch for me pero masyado kasing marami. Let's just share it."

Napakunot-noo na lang siya sa inaasal nito.

"What?" Pancho reacted, "It's just food, Natalie. We're just going to eat the food. Not going to eat each other."

Natalie shook her head instead and playfully punched his shoulder, she sighed again, "Siraulo ka minsan."

Maybe they have this unlikely friendship...

Sinimulan na nilang kainin ang mga dala nito.

"He married her, right?" She suddenly asked while taking a bite of the tuna sandwich. The good thing about being inside the university is that the students don't care that much if you're a prince or part of the royal family... Just like how she and Pancho could eat quietly together.

He shrugged, "You saw her last night in the palace, they probably did. I've heard Gonzalo talking to some palace staff to prepare for her arrival and room - and to address her formally as her majesty and your grace. She's the Queen now."

Natalie became silent and took another bite of the sandwich. And another bite.
And then another.

But she couldn't anymore control her tears from falling.

She suddenly felt Pancho's hand caressing her back softly like he was soothing her. Being silent was all they could do, only her muffled cries were heard. Pancho didn't say anything and continued soothing her back with his hand.